Different page margins within a document

Discuss the word processor
sekitasan

Different page margins within a document

Post by sekitasan »

May be a stupid question, but I am trying to adjust the margins on a single page within a document, without affecting the entire document. When i place the cursor at the start of the page I am trying to adjust, and then move the ruler or change the margin in the settings, all the pages int he document change. In Word you could choose whether the change was for the entire document, a section, or that point forward. Any help out there?
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
therabi
Volunteer

Re: Different page margins within a document

Post by therabi »

You will need to define a Page style for each set of margins in the document. Press F11 or Format-> Styles and Formatting to get to the styles setup. Guessing that your using the Default page style for your document. With the Styles and Formatting dialog open, click on the forth icon from the left, looks like a sheet of paper and shows Page Styles when hovered over. From the list of Page styles right click on the Default and select New, this will create a new style based on the Default. On the Organizer tab give it a unique name, for Next Style select Default. On the Page tab make sure the Paper format is as needed then set the Margins as needed. On the other tabs make changes as needed for the document. Click OK to save the settings and close the dialog.

With the changes saved, place the cursor on the page you want to change. On the Styles and Formatting dialog double click on the new page style. This will change the selected page to the new style without changing the others.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
Star_Gazer

Post by Star_Gazer »

therabi wrote:You will need to define a Page style for each set of margins in the document. Press F11 or Format-> Styles and Formatting to get to the styles setup. Guessing that your using the Default page style for your document. With the Styles and Formatting dialog open, click on the forth icon from the left, looks like a sheet of paper and shows Page Styles when hovered over. From the list of Page styles right click on the Default and select New, this will create a new style based on the Default. On the Organizer tab give it a unique name, for Next Style select Default. On the Page tab make sure the Paper format is as needed then set the Margins as needed. On the other tabs make changes as needed for the document. Click OK to save the settings and close the dialog.

With the changes saved, place the cursor on the page you want to change. On the Styles and Formatting dialog double click on the new page style. This will change the selected page to the new style without changing the others.

HTH
It's not working for me :( Of course, I am using the update "Libre" version.

I place the mouse cursor on Page 10, double-click on the Custom Page Style, and it gets applied to page 1, then page 2 and the pages that proceed are Default Page Style.

CRH
LibreOffice.org 3.3.* | openSUSE 11.4 KDE
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

It depends on how you have defined your style. If the Style is told to go to the Default Style for the next page, that's what it will do.

See Chapters 6 & 7 of the Writers guide: OOo 3 User Guides.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Star_Gazer

Post by Star_Gazer »

TheGurkha wrote:It depends on how you have defined your style. If the Style is told to go to the Default Style for the next page, that's what it will do.

See Chapters 6 & 7 of the Writers guide: OOo 3 User Guides.
I got that down about the Next Style part down pat - but in this case, per therabi's instructions posted and my example, where I apply the Custom Page Style to Page 10, then the next page 11, and further would seem to be the ones to be the Default Page Style.

Could the usages of SECTIONS perhaps be an interference to getting the Page Styles working correctly?
Last edited by Star_Gazer on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

have you tried Insert > Manual Break > Page Break and then choosing the Style from the Style drop down?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Star_Gazer

Post by Star_Gazer »

TheGurkha wrote:have you tried Insert > Manual Break > Page Break and then choosing the Style from the Style drop down?
Now that was the extra info needed, which works! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! :super: