How to copy images and data into documents

Discuss the word processor
socarco

How to copy images and data into documents

Post by socarco »

As a beginner, this is my second request for help.

I would like to be able to copy data and images into existing Open Office files. I find the instruction under Help for this subject to be very complicated and confusing. When try to copy, I am presented with a menu that is anything but self explanitory. No matter what option I select, I am unable copy.

Please can someone give me a step by step procedure so that i can add images and data to my existing files.

This was a simple procedure for MS Office.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases your chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
Open Office 3.1
Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Copying

Post by Villeroy »

I can copy anything from anywhere without problems.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
socarco

Post by socarco »

You may be able to do so, But I cant and that is why I have requested help.
Open Office 3.1
Windows 7
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

You need to be more explicit - what are you doing, and what have you tried? We need more information to be able to help. Vague, one word post titles don't help either - you need to attract readers to your thread in order to have anyone answer your question. 'Copying' could mean anything.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
socarco

Re: How to copy images and data into documents

Post by socarco »

I have a folder of files using OPen Office Writer; These files contain data and images, From time to time I need to update these files with new data and/or new images, eg, PDF files, .jpg images, etc.
My problem occurs when I try to copy these images and/or PDF files by right clicking on the file and selecting "copy". I then move to the file to which I wish to install the Copy. When I then click on "Paste" I receive a menu which has numerous options and features called Sections. These so called Sections appear where I desire the Item I wish to copy should appear. I am unable update my files with the desired PDF or .jpg images. I have selected numerous option from the menu, none of which obtain the desired result. Furthermore, once these "Sections" are entered in my files, I am unable to remove them. I dont know whether this description of my problem is clear to the Gurkha, but hopefully it will give someone an idea of what I am not doing correctly
Open Office 3.1
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Are you talking about text files where you embed objects? What is the goal of doing so?

You can embed images (use the Insert>Image>From file menu) but embedding PDF files is a rather bad idea.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
socarco

Post by socarco »

My files are made up of Text plus images(Illustrations); Charts; Emails, and copies of PDFs which relate to the subject.
All I want to be able to do is to update my basic file with additional information. I dont believe that I am embedding.
I have been able to do this with previous programs by either selecting the text, clicking on an image or a file and then moving the item to the location I desire and pasting it there. So far, I am unable to accomplish this with Open Office.
I appreciate your patience with someone not experienced with Open Office.
Open Office 3.1
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Either you copy and embed extracts of the information in the file itself or you use links to the original files in dedicated folders.

Personally, I do such archives all the day and I copy the text (as much as possible as unformatted text) and the pictures inside the document (resize and crop the pics if needed but in another application, use a picture manager for that). Linking to external files is not that comfortable IMHO because you don't "see" or guess what is inside until you open it.

Don't embed whole PDF files, it may increase the file a lot and same as linking to a file, you've to open it. Moreover, you won't be able to search a string inside that embedded object. Avoid dragging and dropping objects directly in OOo, use the file>Insert menu.

For your "section" dialog problem, can you upload a screenshot of it (see How to attach a document here)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10