[Closed] Extremely serious problem - File corrupted

Discuss the word processor
bubuzzz

[Closed] Extremely serious problem - File corrupted

Post by bubuzzz »

Hi all,

I have a very serious problem just now. I am doing my assignment, which is almost done, and suddenly, i lost my power for my laptop. When i got the power again and start to open the file, it automatically ask for recovery. The process is successful, but when i opened the file again, it opened the ASCIIS filter options window and ask for choosing the character set. When i choose it as unicode (which is the default), All my work has become '###########' :crazy: and there is no way to change it back again. Is there any body out there having this annoying trouble?

Please please please help coz i almost done everything and have to submit it on next Monday. It nearly cost me the whole week to write it. Everything in my OO is the default. I used english text and never configure / change anything in the options.
Last edited by bubuzzz on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Xubuntu 10.04
bubuzzz

Re: Extremely serious problem - File corrupted - Please help

Post by bubuzzz »

a quick look at google and found there is no way. Now i DIE already. The funny thing is right before the power drop, i didn't do ANYTHING to the file, all the things are saved, i even minimized OO window and listened to music at that time. OMG !!!!!! Terrible !!!
Cambirder
Volunteer

Re: Extremely serious problem - File corrupted - Please help

Post by Cambirder »

Have a search to see if you have a backup (.bak) version of the file, if not I fear you are yet another person who has learned that you should always back-up important work the hard way :(
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Extremely serious problem - File corrupted

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, nothing to do: 22 page term paper replaced with pound signs.

Note that under ubuntu, the use of EXT4 as file system may worsen the situation because the delay for writing the files to disk has been increased.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Ouch.

A bit late now, but this is why backups are your friend.

(Even if you save to the same hard disk ina different folder with a different file name, it is better than nothing.)
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
bubuzzz

Post by bubuzzz »

lesson learned. from now on, i will use version control system even on every single, stupid, silly things that i made :crazy: :crazy: . For those who will suffer this and find this post later

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe9PSliDG4M
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

oh god !!!! :knock: :knock:
dodger4

Re: [Closed] Extremely serious problem - File corrupted

Post by dodger4 »

I hope I am not telling you elementary stuff here...and I hope it is not too late...

If you are using a Windows platform, you could use a file-recovery utility (OnTrack Easy Recovery is one, but there are many around, including freeware & shareware)

AND

if you have not written to the disk since this problem occurred >>>>

You MAY be able to recover the file in RAW mode from the drive. These data recovery programs vary in their ease-of-use, and to use Easy Recovery, you have to speak the file-recovery language. I suggest you mount it on a flash drive, to prevent overwriting the sectors that your lost file reside on.

My aim here is not to teach you how to use the software, but that it is an option you could explore. Your lost file occupied physical space on the drive, and unless you have started writing to the drive, the sectors may not have been overwritten yet. Easy Recovery finds the sectors using the second copy of the FAT (file allocation table) and attempts to join them together again. It will not recover the filename; it may recover that part of the filename after the first letter, but I think in RAW mode, it creates a name. I forget if a creation date is there also.

I am certainly no expert on this; you may seek better advice from an MVP on a Windows site on recovering data from an NTFS file system. If it's FAT, you will have more difficulty.
Learning more only teaches me how much I already don't know. Growing older doesn't seem to help.