Frames overlap on automatic page-break

Discuss the word processor
petibub

Frames overlap on automatic page-break

Post by petibub »

Hi!

I have a page where I place text paragraphs mixed with frames (pictures+captions). The page should look like
text1 - frame1 - text2 - frame2 - text3 - frame3 etc...

My problem is that when I insert some more text before this page, an automatic page break occurs and one frame moves to the next page OVERLAPPING the next frame. The page looks like
text1 - text2 *PAGEBREAK* - frame1 overlapped by frame2 - text3 - frame3, etc...

What can I do to avoid this problem? Any help is very appreciated...

Peter
OpenOffice 3.1, WinXP
Jon

Re: Frames overlap on automatic page-break

Post by Jon »

I'm having a little trouble visualizing this, but let me throw in a couple of ideas that might (or might not) be helpful.

The first thing you want to do is make sure the wrap settings are correct on all the frames. It sounds like in your case the best setting is "page wrap" or "optimal page wrap".

The second question is where the frames are anchored. I don't even know where to start giving you advice on this because anchoring in OOo is still mysterious to me. I understand the concept, but how it works out in practice is something else. The kind of project it sounds like you're trying to do is at best somewhat maddening in OOo. Unless the whole document is made of frame/caption sequences like this, you might do better to make a table and put your graphics and captions in table cells. That way at least a whole row will stay together when a page break occurs.
LibreOffice 3.5 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Jon wrote:you might do better to make a table and put your graphics and captions in table cells. That way at least a whole row will stay together when a page break occurs.
+1.
Setting the table not to be split on pages will insure that the caption is not separated from the pic. Tables are more stable than frames.

You can even create an AutoText to insert in one shortcut the table already formatted with its caption (with its number range for automatic numbering if needed).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
scottm

Post by scottm »

Finally! I've been having a similar problem, where a couple of my frames would look fine when working in the document, in .odt format, but then get all screwy (overlapping, in particular) when I saved as .doc to send to colleagues who aren't hip to the OO.org yet, or in the master document I linked the original subdocument into (my phd thesis, fwiw). Dropping the idea of using frames and using a simple 1X1 table has fixed the problem. That's one more nagging detail dealt with, making me one step closer to submitting this thing...
Open Office 3.1.1 on Windows XP