[Solved+Issue] Defaulting keyboard to System Language

Discuss the word processor
Prymal

[Solved+Issue] Defaulting keyboard to System Language

Post by Prymal »

Hey there,
I've been creeping the forum for a while, and I've found all of the answers I needed until now. I thank all of those users who have solved my problems without being asked.
I have three keyboard layouts installed in Windows right now, Dvorak, US 101 and Dvorak-fr(Bépo), and I can toggle between them with Alt+Shift, as is built in to Windows. I am writing a document in French, and I want to use the US 101 keyboard layout. However, despite all of my efforts to set the default language in OOo to French, unless I have the French keyboard layout selected, OOo keeps changing back to English.
Is there some way that I can turn off this automatic keyboard language detection, or some other work-around?
Thanks,
Prymal
Last edited by Prymal on Sun May 16, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Openoffice 3.2.0 build9483 on WinXP SP3
franx
Volunteer

Re: Defaulting to System Language

Post by franx »

Hi,
Prymal wrote:[...]
Is there some way that I can turn off this automatic keyboard language detection, or some other work-around?
Thanks,
Prymal
This behaviour was presumably initiated by toggling the keyboard layout in OOo.

(1) Try to add the US keyboard layout to the French input language.
Have a look at → Issue 100762 – Different languages with one keyboard layout aren't possible:
mba (2010-01-04) wrote: Again: OOo does not follow the keyboard layout, it follows the input locale.
Which keyboard locale matches the input locale is a Windows configuration matter.
In your case you should switch to "French" if you wanted to write in French, not
to "English". If you want to use the English keyboard layout for writing in
French, use the Windows system configuration to assign that keyboard to the
French input locale.
E.g.:
input_language--keyboard_layout.jpg
(2) Please see also my comment there → Re: messing up languagues
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
Prymal

[Solved]Defaulting to System Language

Post by Prymal »

franx wrote: This behaviour was presumably initiated by toggling the keyboard layout in OOo.
Yes, it was, I agree.
franx wrote: (1) Try to add the US keyboard layout to the French input language.
Very nice. I should have thought of that. It is a whole lot simpler than I expected.

Thanks a lot,
Prymal
Openoffice 3.2.0 build9483 on WinXP SP3