[Issue] Default Bullet Point Settings

Discuss the word processor
Jaime Brookes

[Issue] Default Bullet Point Settings

Post by Jaime Brookes »

How do I adjust the default bullet point settings within Format > Bullets and Numbering > Position > Default button? When clicked this automatically sets to 0.64cm. I would like to establish a 1cm permanent setting. Also, is there a way to link bullet point settings to a new Style? Thanks...J
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
Hagar Delest

Re: Default Bullet Point Settings

Post by Hagar Delest »

You have to use the list styles. Open the Styles & Formatting panel (F11) and in the group of icons on the left, click the most right one. Then apply this style to the text. Note that you can set a list style in a paragraph style too (Numbering tab of its properties).

There is no way yet to call a style from the toolbar button, this has been requested, you can subscribe and vote (up to 2 votes per issue) : Issue 9437 - Change default bullet type.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
tonypit

Re: [Issue] Default Bullet Point Settings

Post by tonypit »

I would like to be able to control the default settings for the graphics and spacing in a bullet list. I'm looking at the post: "You have to use the list styles. Open the Styles & Formatting panel (F11) and in the group of icons on the left, click the most right one. Then apply this style to the text."

Using v.3.1, I can follow " Open the Styles & Formatting panel (F11) and in the group of icons on the left, click the most right one." So I get listings of the sort: List 1, List 2, etc. I assume these are hierarchical, e.g., first level, second level, etc., of a bulleted list. But there is no indication of what "List 1" means or looks like. So, when you say "Then apply this style to the text," (1) I have no idea what this style looks like or (2) how to apply it to the text.

If I right click a list, e.g., List 1, I get a menu with the choices: new or modify. Because there already is a default, I choose "modify." That brings up a Numbering Style: List 1 dialogue box, which allows me to make selections, including the graphics I want to represent bullets. I make my choices, click OK, and close the dialogue box. However, if I create a bulleted list, I do not get the graphics I selected in the dialogue box. I get the earlier default. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong (or not doing)?
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: [Issue] Default Bullet Point Settings

Post by Hagar Delest »

List 1, List 2, ... are not different levels of the same style. They are different styles. Modify one of them and check the different tabs and you'll be able to configure each level within a same style. Then change the level of the text afterwards (either with the Tab key or with the promote/demote button).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10