[Solved] Export PDF General Input Output Error

Discuss the word processor
Dr Belka

[Solved] Export PDF General Input Output Error

Post by Dr Belka »

Okay so I am using the openoffice 3.2.

Whenever I try to export something as a pdf, it gives me the following error message in a little window:

Error saving the document: Untitled 1
General Error.
General Input/Output Error.

I have checked to make sure that I have installed all of the optional, PDF handling packages for openoffice, but I still get this message. It's odd though, it does export the document to a PDF, but the quality of the font and the images is really bad.

Is there any way to fix this? Is this something I need to do a downgrade to fix?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.2 on Arch Linux
RoryOF

Re: Export PDF General Input Output Error

Post by RoryOF »

If you are using the Arch Linux distro of OpenOffice, you could try the Sun/Oracle version from www.openoffice.org. This works OK on Ubuntu linux and gives good .pdfs.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Dr Belka

Re: Export PDF General Input Output Error

Post by Dr Belka »

I cant find a good arch package on the site, but I did figure out that I was using go-office instead of openoffice. I installed openoffice instead. While I do not get the "general error message" I still get poor quality on export.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Arch Linux
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Export PDF General Input Output Error

Post by Hagar Delest »

What do you mean? Poor quality for pics or for text? How does it look like if you use CUPS?

Have you tried to play with the options in the File>Export as PDF dialog?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Export PDF General Input Output Error

Post by RoryOF »

I've certainly not noticed any poor quality in my pdf exports. I've generated pdfs in two, ways, by using the inbuilt Export as pdf and by using Adobe's pdf printer. There are differences in file size between the two generation methods, but no obvious difference in quality. My files have been book layouts, text only; they have all printed well (A5 pages on 600 dpi printers) and display well onscreen. There have been no adverse comments about quality from others who have read or printed my files.

Can you post a short sample file to illustrate your quality problem?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS