[Solved] Language select in status bar

Discuss the word processor
ales85

[Solved] Language select in status bar

Post by ales85 »

I have a little problem with selecting different languages from status bar or from Tools menu. I have several different spell-checker languages installed and when I click on a language in status bar, I only get one or two available to select. I can choose others by selecting "More" but that's not the fastest nor easiest way.

How can I customize OOo so that it suggests ALL languages for which I have spell-checker installed (kind of like Evolution has) in status bar and Tools menu and everywhere...

BR Aleš

EDIT:
Just a quick summary for those who need only answer ;) If you need the status bar for language to always display a list of languages you desire (up to 7 as I read in another topic) you have to create a new Style and set language in Font section to whichever you like. After you have created styles that you needed go under File --> Templates --> Save and give it a name (it doesn't matter which and neither does the category).

After that go again under Templates --> Organize --> and set your template as default (double click category and right click your template and click Set as default.
Last edited by ales85 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on Ubuntu 9.10
Hagar Delest

Re: Language select in status bar

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Not sure if this can be customized. Not even sure if this switch gives all the possibilities of the installed dictionaries. Anyway, better avoid it because it's a direct formatting that can be [too] easily removed. See [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration. Better use the styles.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
ales85

Post by ales85 »

Thank you for reply. I've already checked the mentioned tutorial (I did my homework ;) ) and nothing helps there. I'm aware of setting the language with format but in a multi-lingual document I need quick switch for another language, this is just too... long :)

Any other suggestions welcome!
franx
Volunteer

Post by franx »

Hi,

you might have a look at → [Solved] Tools>Language question

That applies also to the context menu of the status bar:
lang_stat_bar.png
I had created corresponding paragraph styles (Text body de, en, en_uk, es, fr)
with Text body > New... [Styles and Formatting window – F11]
to show and the languages are shown in the context menu ...

See also the Software Specification DocumentSet Language Attribute for Text:
<http://specs.openoffice.org/appwide/lin ... r_Text.odt>

1.1.3 Dynamic Language List Generation for Context Menu
The list of languages, shown in the context menu, is dynamically created from the following language settings and is limited to a maximum of 7 language entries and is sorted alphabetically. All shown languages are from the same scripting type (i.e. Asian, Western, CTL) present in the current text selection. If no selection is present all currently enabled script types are shown.
1. Currently set language
2. and locally set language from Tools-Options (OOo and operating system)
3. and user Interface language from Tools-Options
4. and guessed language from current paragraph1
5. (optional on Windows operating systems) currently used keyboard languages (called input languages on Windows systems)
6. and languages already used in current document (Note: Number of languages is limited to 7 overall)
7. and ignore attribute in form of the entry “Do not check spelling[ and grammar]”
The entry for no. 7 and the More... entry are always part of that menu, so the menu consist of a maximum of 9 entries. These entries are always shown at the end of the menu.
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

ales85 wrote:in a multi-lingual document I need quick switch for another language
You can still use paragraph or character styles and assign shortcuts to them.
ales85

Post by ales85 »

Thank you franx, this solved my problem! I create new paragraph style, save and set as default template and languages are set in the menu. Hagar de l'Est if I do that I'm forced to do with styles if I'm not mistaking, right?
Hagar Delest

Re: [SOLVED] Language select in status bar

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, correct.