[Issue] Need help with document info

Discuss the word processor
gatitosmommy

[Issue] Need help with document info

Post by gatitosmommy »

is there anyone here who is familiar with Lulu.com?

the first question is I have no idea how to "embed fonts"... can someone direct me to step-by-step instructions somewhere online?

the second question is that with my OpenOffice program, when I've done ebooks etc. before, the page numbers etc. ended up "scrambled" on the other end-- when someone tried to open it in Microsoft Word... would converting my document into PDF solve this problem?

thanks!!!!!!!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged the thread as issue (link to a bug report).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: need help with document info

Post by Villeroy »

Neither Writer nor MSWord embed fonts. Pdf is designed to produce exactly the same output on any system. It embeds fonts, indeed.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: need help with document info

Post by foxcole »

Actually, Word does embed fonts but it's not as robust as the PDF embedding... it only embeds TrueType. Both methods examine the font to see whether it is embeddable in the first place. Many font foundries don't allow redistribution of the font in any manner; if it isn't licensed to be embedded, it won't be, and the recipient computer must use a substitute. Foundries can specify that a font can be fully embedded, in which case it will install itself on the recipient's computer; or embedded and editable so the recipient can make changes using the same font; or embedded and printable only, so the recipient can print it but not edit with it; or not embedded at all.

Writer does not embed fonts, and I'm thinking it could be because of all the complications of embedding, as well as the fact that recipient computers already have means to find substitutes. Most people write in default fonts anyway that are commonly already installed or have already-mapped alternates (think Arial and Helvetica), so this might not be considered a high-priority enhancement.

But be aware that even exactly the same-named font is installed on the recipient's computer, it might not be exactly the same, might have differences in spacing and glyph widths and such. If your recipient does not need to edit the document, by all means you should always distribute in PDF format. That's simply the most stable way to ensure the reader is seeing the same formats the writer created... especially when the font is embedded.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Re: [Issue] Need help with document info

Post by Hagar Delest »

I know this is an old thread but for the record: Issue 20370 - Q-PCD MSInteroperability-33: embedd fonts into the document.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10