Text all replaced with ###

Discuss the word processor
fibitz

Re: Text all replaced with ###

Post by fibitz »

Have you tried changing to a smaller font size? I had a lot of data in a spreadsheet that was originally Excel suddenly change to ###, and it turned out to be simply that the font size was too large to allow the data to display inside the existing cells. While the display problem occurred suddenly, for no reason (that is, no change had been made in the document format), reducing the font size in the document fixed it easily, and I have sent the file to others with no reported problems.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

No. The hashes in Calc is a quite common display issue indeed. Not in Writer.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
tireland

HELP: Text all replaced with ###

Post by tireland »

Hi all,

this is my first time to this forum - unfortunately I have the same problem.
all the characters in my OpenOffice-writer document has turned to hash characters.

This work is important to me - its a days work of writing up my PhD.
I would be happy to email the file to anyone who thinks they could help.

Is this a bug in OOo writer. I found a couple of threads on this but they haven't help me - but i don't know what I'm doing!

I hoped there would be a back-up or earlier saved temp file - i know i saved it a few times before this happened but i don't know where to look.
The post [http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =7&t=41992] suggests
"Check also the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers." but i can't find any such folders through window 7 starter.

Any help would be very appreciated.
OpenOffice 3.3 on windows 7 starter.
totalrandomness007

Post by totalrandomness007 »

I had the same problem and how I solved it was to go to Tools --> Options --> OpenOffice.org --> Paths in there you'll find Backups. go to Computer then type in the same path that it written next to Backups then you might find where you left it. It worked for me but not all of it was recovered. Hope I helped :)
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista