Documents being corrupted

Discuss the word processor
Nevinyrr

Documents being corrupted

Post by Nevinyrr »

Recently I've come back to my computer after shutting it down (properly) and the option to recover documents has come up for things I was working on, but had saved and closed before shutting down. When I go to recover them, it doesn't work but gives me the opportunity to open them anyway. On doing so I am asked to choose which character set I want to use, and then the document opens up. However, everything in the document in gone and it is just three pages of # symbols.

This has happened for both Writer and Calc docs in the last couple of days, so if anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.
OpenOffice 3.1.1. running on Windows 7
acknak

Re: Documents being corrupted

Post by acknak »

If I ever see OOo offer to recover something that I know I had saved manually, I just cancel the offer and ignore it--it can only cause trouble, as far as I can see, for OOo to "recover" something when it's already confused.

If you're seeing the text import dialog asking for a character set, and followed by a screen full of gibberish, it usually means that the file is damaged and can't be loaded properly.

If that happens as part of the recovery, it's not a big deal; just cancel out and ignore it. If that happens when you try to File > Open your manually saved file, then your document is likely damaged and you'll need to go back to your last good backup--you do have safe backup copies, right?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Re: Documents being corrupted

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10