[Solved] Change in adding header and footer

Discuss the word processor
lukjan

[Solved] Change in adding header and footer

Post by lukjan »

welcome

please correct adding headlines please and feet to the document. the same how is in office around microsoft. at the moment it isn't possible to type the different headline and feet on every page, into the easy way, it is only necessary to search the clump for the menu. put the headline please and the foot, on the upper and bottom margin, rather than on the area of writing the document.

am translating through the translating program
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Łukasz Janik
esperantisto
Volunteer

Re: zmiania dodawania nagłówków i stopków

Post by esperantisto »

a) Hety forum nia vielmi prydatny dla prapanovaŭ što da OOo, adno dla pytanniaŭ i adkazaŭ;
b) Vielmi ciažka zrazumieć prablemu: kalantytuly (kali ja pravilna razumieju tyja “nagłówki i stopki”) ŭ OOo realizavanyja našmat praściej ad MSO;
c) OOo nia jość MSO i, dziakuj Bohu, im nia budzie. Tamu zapyty typu “zrabiecie tak, jak u MSO” nia majuć sensu;
d) Kali maješ kankretnuju prablemu, dyk i pišy kankretna.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: zmiania dodawania nagłówków i stopków

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
lukjan

Re: change in adding headlines and feet

Post by lukjan »

now, text english
Łukasz Janik
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

First: thanks to have changed your text in English!

So you're looking for a better way to create headers and footers it seems. You can activate them quickly with the menu Insert>Header (or Footer) then check the page style you want to give a header or footer.

Headers and footers are parts of the page style. If you need different headers/footers, you need to create as many page styles needed and insert a manual break (Insert>Breaks menu) at each page end to change the page style.

I hope it helps.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
lukjan

Post by lukjan »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:First: thanks to have changed your text in English!

So you're looking for a better way to create headers and footers it seems. You can activate them quickly with the menu Insert>Header (or Footer) then check the page style you want to give a header or footer.

Headers and footers are parts of the page style. If you need different headers/footers, you need to create as many page styles needed and insert a manual break (Insert>Breaks menu) at each page end to change the page style.

I hope it helps.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
there is farther on the margin no. correct the addition or give the different way of adding this way please as in office in ms.
Łukasz Janik
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sorry, but I don't see what you mean. You should also add the question in your mother tongue, perhaps esperantisto could translate.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Word defines the margin as the space between the edge of the page and the main text area. When a header or footer is inserted in Word, the main text area remains the same and the header or footer is inserted in the existing space between the edge of the page and the main text area. Writer defines the margin as the space between the edge of the page and any text area--main text, header, or footer. When a header or footer is inserted in Writer, it is inserted in the original main text area and the main text area becomes smaller. To keep the main text area from becoming smaller, the margin setting in the page style for those pages will have to be reduced so that the headers and footers will be closer to the edge of the page. I don't know of any other way to keep the main text area from becoming smaller.
lukjan

Post by lukjan »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Sorry, but I don't see what you mean. You should also add the question in your mother tongue, perhaps esperantisto could translate.
after all I wrote in Polish.
Bill wrote:Word defines the margin as the space between the edge of the page and the main text area. When a header or footer is inserted in Word, the main text area remains the same and the header or footer is inserted in the existing space between the edge of the page and the main text area. Writer defines the margin as the space between the edge of the page and any text area--main text, header, or footer. When a header or footer is inserted in Writer, it is inserted in the original main text area and the main text area becomes smaller. To keep the main text area from becoming smaller, the margin setting in the page style for those pages will have to be reduced so that the headers and footers will be closer to the edge of the page. I don't know of any other way to keep the main text area from becoming smaller.
exactly ;)
Łukasz Janik
udippel

Re: [Un-Solved] Change in adding header and footer

Post by udippel »

He, how could this be 'solved'; since the question wasn't understood, and no answer given!?

I'm looking for an answer to exactly this question.
I have been instructed to use a specific page margin, whichever. In MS-Office, when adding a footer, this footer will be placed *inside* the margin, effectively reducing the margin defined in the first place.
OpenOffice, at creating a footer, will respect the margin and keep it untouched, and place the footer *inside* the text area of the page, and if getting bigger, gradually grow upwards into the text area.

Try it out, if you don't understand (or believe): define a page with 1" margins in MS-Office. create a footer, and the footer will be placed *inside* the bottom margin, effectively reducing the lower page margin. Do the same in OO, and the margins, inclusive the bottom one, will remain unaffected. The footer will be placed *above* the 1" of bottom margin.

Not that I preferred the MS-way, to me OO is more logical, you define the margin because you don't want anything in it. But all those in academia and journals, who are sold hook and sinker to MS, *expect* the footer to creep into the bottom margin. Then, when I submit, they tend to complain I wouldn't honour the page size requirements! Silly buggers, I even explain and ask them to check, but in their beloved MS-Word they find a different bottom margin. Different from the one they used to define. But it's all okay for them; it's even what they expect, because MS can't be wrong, can it!

If possible, I'd like to make a small survey on the systems in the industry, PageMaker, Quark, etc.: How do those programs behave? I wouldn't want Writer to follow blindly what MS does. It would be good, though, to have a WORD-compatibility switch; so that my documents look like those in WORD with respect to the footer.

Uwe
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Change in adding header and footer

Post by Bill »

udippel wrote:He, how could this be 'solved'; since the question wasn't understood, and no answer given!?
I did understand the question, but my answer was incomplete. I took another look at this, and see that in addition to changing the margin settings in Writer, the height and spacing settings for the headers and footers must also be changed.

Assume that you want to match a Word document which has a 1" top margin with a header at 0.5" from the top of the page. In Writer, open the Page Style dialog (Format > Page). Click the Page tab and change the top margin to 0.5". Click the Header tab and check the Header On box. With the default Height being 0.2", change the Spacing to 0.3" and check the Use Dynamic Spacing box. With these settings, the header should be 0.5" from the top of the page and the main text area should be 1" from the top of the page.

If you look in Writer's Help under Headers;about, you will see that it states that the headers and footers are "in the top and bottom page margins". As you've noted, this is true in Word but not in Writer.
udippel wrote:It would be good, though, to have a WORD-compatibility switch; so that my documents look like those in WORD with respect to the footer.
You can submit an enhancement request: Submit an Issue
Hagar Delest

Re: [Un-Solved] Change in adding header and footer

Post by Hagar Delest »

udippel wrote:He, how could this be 'solved'; since the question wasn't understood, and no answer given!?
Have you read Bill's post?
Bill wrote:To keep the main text area from becoming smaller, the margin setting in the page style for those pages will have to be reduced so that the headers and footers will be closer to the edge of the page. I don't know of any other way to keep the main text area from becoming smaller.
If you want to make a kind of survey, you should create another thread, this one is rather long, better start from scratch.
JBaldizon

A REAL Answer

Post by JBaldizon »

The Problem:
Students writing papers under the MLA or APA guidelines will not be happy about the page numbering process in Writer, especially if they're new to Writer and accustomed to numbering pages in Microsoft Word. Students will not only have to figure out how to number pages, but Writer doesn't place the headers or footers inside the margins the way Word does.

Under the MLA and APA guidelines page margins are all set to 1 inch, and page numbers go at the top-right of the page, half an inch (0.5") from the top of the page. This means that students using Writer will need to use the header for page numbering. However, if a student sets the margins of a paper to one inch, and then activates the header, the header will appear under the top margin, instead of inside the margin, and therefore adding space to the top of the page. This brings the page number down 1 inch instead of the required half inch. This will not only annoy students, it can also lead to lower paper grades.

The Fix:
In a new Writer document, open the Page Style dialog box (Format-->Page) and set all the page margins to one inch, except the top margin; set the top margin to half an inch (0.50"). Then move over to the Header tab, and check the "Header on" box. Set the Spacing to 0.30." Leave the Height value alone, but make sure that the "Autofit Height" box is checked. Then click OK to save these settings.

Now a student can insert the page number (Insert-->Fields-->Page Number) in the header. The page number will be exactly 5 inches from the top of the page, and the body of the paper will start exactly one inch from the top of the page the way it's supposed to.

More Good News:
After setting the page as described above, students can save the document as a Microsoft Word document, and when they open the document in Word, the margins will all be set to 1 inch, and the page numbers will be half an inch from the top of the page. It'll be just as if they set the page numbering in Word from the beginning.

You can also watch this video: http://www.learnwriter.com/videos/apa-template-video/ off my website LearnWriter.com, which explains the process. There's really nothing to it.
JBaldizon is the creator of LearnWriter.com