[Solved] Read-Error Images

Discuss the word processor
PryceV1

[Solved] Read-Error Images

Post by PryceV1 »

Hello,

I have a problem with images at the moment. I have been cutting and pasting images from 2 openoffice writer documents into 1 document, until the 2 documents I'm cutting from have no more images and can then be deleted when they no longer serve a purpose. However, whilst cutting and pasting lots of images into this 1 document, a problem has occured where some of the pictures randomly decide not to show and give me the message "Read-Error" with a logo to the top-left of them and they're surrounded by a grey box framework. I can't restore the pictures to original size as everything on the crop tab after double-clicking on any of these affected images is greyed-out. If I close the document and re-open it, the grey boxed "Read-Error" images disappear and the images are then presumably lost forever. This is a new problem for me, as it has only happened today (9th Nov. 2009), so this is quite a mystery for me. The images were originally copied from the internet into the 2 documents and then cutted and pasted into the 1 document I'm adding these images into. I think the images are all jpeg types, my operating system is Windows XP SP3 and I'm currently using openoffice 3.1.1.

The Graphics and objects tickbox is ticked in Tools, Options, OpenOffice.org Writer and View, under Display and as I'm aware, has always been ticked since I installed openoffice.org.

I have also checked for similar queries to this one, but I'm not sure whether they were helpful to me or not, so this is why I have decided to post this one and I therefore apologise if this is seen as a duplicate query or not. Could someone explain why I am experiencing this problem?

Thanks for any replies.
Last edited by PryceV1 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1.1, Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Read-Error Images

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When you copy and paste content from the web, OOo doesn't embed it by default, it just put a link. To copy/paste, make sure that the pics have been embedded first in the source document in the Edit>Links dialog (select all and disconnect the links).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PryceV1

Post by PryceV1 »

I clicked on the Edit tab, but the links option in the drop-down list is greyed out, unless I copy and paste-special at least one image as HTML format to make the "links" option available. I don't quite follow what you mean. When I copy and paste images from the internet into an openoffice writer document, the images show themselves exactly as images instead of a hyperlink for example. So I think I'm still stuck on what to do to correct this "Read-Error" images problem.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

PryceV1 wrote:When I copy and paste images from the internet into an openoffice writer document, the images show themselves exactly as images instead of a hyperlink for example.
True. But the picture is not embedded. Save and close, shut down your internet access and reopen the file, it should not be displayed. That's why the Edit>Links dialog is useful to embed the file inside the document. But it may be another problem.

The best way IMHO would be to save the source document under a specific name, then rename this file in .zip, extract the /pictures folder and with the Insert>Picture>From file menu, insert the pics in the destination document.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PryceV1

Post by PryceV1 »

I have decided to show this topic "as fixed", as I don't seem to be affected by the problem now. Maybe it's just when I copy and paste lots of images say over 100 at any one time, I don't know. Thanks for helping.