Multiple Headers in one document

Discuss the word processor
mich31171

Multiple Headers in one document

Post by mich31171 »

Hi everyone! I've been following a tutorial on inpics for writer and can't seem to get multiple headers within one document as it describes. So, I searched and searched and can't find anything that fits my needs. I've gone through the guide for page styles and attempted some things, but still cannot get this to work.

I have a document that I'm using headers with. I was able to get the document to have no header on the first page...that was a good start, but for subsequent pages, I want one header on Page 2 (Overview) and a different one on page three (Party Planning), etc. No matter what I've tried, all headers appear the same. I had tried using sections as the tutorial said, but that didn't work and I'm seeing from other posts that I'm to use Page Styles, but I can't get that to work either. Every time I change one and apply a style they all change.

Can anybody give me some concrete instructions on how to add several different headers in one document? The help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista + MS Windows XP
pingju
Volunteer

Re: Multiple Headers in one document

Post by pingju »

If you want to have different headers on odd and even pages, check off the "Same content left / right" via Format -> Page -> Header.

If you want to have an identical header on each page, that's a little bit time consuming.

If you want to have an identical header for each section, that's not difficult - use page style.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / XP SP3 EN
mich31171

Post by mich31171 »

thanks for the help...what I really want is this:

Page 1 - no header
Page 2 - header (text Overview)
Page 3 - header (text Party Planning)
Page 4 - header (text Party Planning)
Page 5 - header (text Decorating)

thanks again!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Discussed many times. You need page styles. See that one for example: [Solved] How to apply different headers on different pages?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Jon

Post by Jon »

There may be some reason why you would want to do this through headers, but I would suggest that if you only have 5 pages and 3 different headers, the simplest answer is just put them in manually without fooling with headers at all, perhaps with a text box that is anchored to the top of the text area of the page and no wrap. Might take a bit of experimenting since the anchoring in OOo is also a bit mysterious. I think in most programs the idea of a header is to repeat the heading, or repeat odd/even page headers, not change it on almost every page, so OOo's header behavior, though a bit flaky, acts mostly like one would expect.
LibreOffice 3.5 on Windows XP
mich31171

Post by mich31171 »

ok...so i have searched and still can't find what i'm looking for...i followed the thread as you suggested and i was able to get it to work partially...i can now put unique headers at the top of each page...however, if you look at it as though it is a chapter book...the "solution" does not work.

Page 1 (no header)
Page 2 (text Overview)
Page 3 (text Party Planning)
Page 4 (same header as Page 3)
Page 5 (text How to Decorate)

i've created the custom page styles as instructed and can get it to work partly, but i can't get pages 3 and 4 to have the same header...i guess what i don't really get is that "next style" function on the organizer tab. each custom page i set up defaulted the "next style" to be the same as that custom page (ex. custom page1 - "next style" custom page1)

i changed this to be custom page 1 - "next style" custom page 2 and so forth...i just can't get pages 3 and 4 to be the same header

incidentally, the tutorial posted by ceffyl was very helpful...thank you!
acknak

Post by acknak »

I think it's going to be hard to make suggestions based on your description. Is it possible for you to attach a draft or sample excerpt of your document? You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). [Forum] How to attach a document here. There are some suggestions in that article for dealing with content you don't want to make public.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23