[Solved] Times New Roman always italic in Writer

Discuss the word processor
banjotron

[Solved] Times New Roman always italic in Writer

Post by banjotron »

I've been looking for a solution for a while now, but while I've seen a few mentions of problems with italics being stuck on or off, I haven't been able to find a solution to this precise issue. I'm using OpenOffice 2.3.1 on Windows XP SP2. I've got Times New Roman set as my default font, since that's what I'm using for most of my schoolwork. My problem is that it's always in italics, even though the italic style is not selected. If I do select italic, it's still in italics. I've tried a bunch of fonts, and it only happens with this one. Times New Roman works fine in all of my other applications. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This happens before I save a document, and it persists regardless of what format I save it in. I tried to attach a screen of what I see.
Attachments
a.jpg
Last edited by banjotron on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Re: Times New Roman always italic in Writer

Post by Dave »

The only thing I can think of offhand is that you do not [or no longer] have the regular font installed. There is freeware for viewing and installing/uninstalling fonts. "The Font Thing" is one. You can have it present in your computer somewhere, but it must be "installed" or registered in order to be functional in Windows programs. You can have the italic font installed, but perhaps not the regular font. It is usually installed by default, so this is just a guess.

A quick check might be to see if it works in another program using fonts of various sorts.

If it is present, you'll have to rely upon someone more knowledgeable. [Easily done.]

David.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try running this free Fix Fonts Folder utility from High-Logic. Perhaps your Windows Fonts registry has become corrupt.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I'm not sure what it means, but there's something amiss in the screenshot. "Regular" should be displayed and highlighted in the bottom part of the Typeface box just as "Times New Roman" is displayed and highlighted in the bottom part of the Font box.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Don't overlook that telling sentence below, about the font being simulated.

My guess is that your installation of OOo is corrupt. Maybe renaming your account will help, maybe a repair of the installation, if nothing else works, do a completely new install.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I was able to reproduce the behavior in Writer by removing the Times New Roman font from the Font folder. Writer then started using italic and the Character dialog duplicated the screenshot. Checking Word 2000, I found that it used bold instead of italic.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Times New Roman works fine in all of my other applications.
You still have to explain that.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

floris v wrote:My guess is that your installation of OOo is corrupt.
My guess is that the Times New Roman font itself is corrupt, and the computer is substituting the closest available match. A good font manager often can repair a corrupted font. Here''s a freeware one that includes a font repair wizard:
http://www.moonsoftware.com/fxplorer.asp
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
banjotron

Post by banjotron »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Try running this free Fix Fonts Folder utility from High-Logic. Perhaps your Windows Fonts registry has become corrupt.
I downloaded and ran this utility. It seems you were right. Apparently, the plain version of Times New Roman was not registered to a font file. Like somebody else said, OO probably just substituted the closest thing. I let the program fix it, restarted, and the problem was gone. What really baffles me is why this would only happen to OO. Well, whatever the case, the problem is gone now. Thanks.
floris v
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] Times New Roman always italic in Writer

Post by floris v »

Maybe the other applications use another font, so similar to TNR that you don't notice the difference? What other apps didn't give problems?
Nederlandstalig forum