Navigator Autohides in FullScreen - but why?

Discuss the word processor
vlojen

Navigator Autohides in FullScreen - but why?

Post by vlojen »

Working in FullScreen, with Navigator docked on the left, showing all the chapters and subchapters for easy access, is the most convenient way of working in OOWriter I found. Except that the AutoHide feature keeps disappearing the Navigator every time I switch back to OOWriter from another window. (At the same time, I cannot get rid of the free-floating FullScreen toolbar that I have no use for, although that is not such a big problem, just a bit illogical.)

I spent quite some time trying to find a way around it, but with no success. Navigator toolbar seems to be somewhat different beast from other toolbars and I haven't managed to create a custom Navigator that would not be context-sensitive. Am I missing the point here? Is it possible to do it at all or am I asking for too much? It would be so nice to have the outline to the left and the text to the right in FullScreen. Seems like such a natural way to write.

OO2.3.1 on WinXPSP2
Last edited by vlojen on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Navigator Autohides in FullScreen - but why?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The behaviour is inconsistent, that's for sure.

There is a way around it though. Float the palettes, enter fullscreen, and then dock them.

Don't use the shortcut keys to show/hide them — only the toggle strip. And the toggle strip is lost if you leave and re-enter fullscreen mode.

The fullscreen mode toolbar can be docked on the end of another toolbar, so that it is less obtrusive.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
vlojen

Post by vlojen »

Thanks for a prompt answer.

However, your comment that the toggle strip is lost if you leave and re-enter full-screen mode is the crux of my problem. I am about to start working on a long text with many headings. When I worked in MS Word, I would use its Document Map feature anchored to the left to be able to navigate quickly through the document. I am really trying to find a similar solution for OOWriter because I would hate to have to return to the dreaded Word. But I gather from the answer below and everything else I read that AutoHide cannot really be tamed. That is, switched off.

Yes, I could simply not use full screen, and then Navigator would always remain exactly where I want it, but I work on an ultra-portable notebook and every centimetre of useful screen space counts for me.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The solution is very simple, don't dock the Navigator.
Leave it floating, and use a shortcut such as F5 to show/hide it.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
vlojen

Post by vlojen »

Thanks for the suggestion.

Having a floating toolbar isn't quite the same as having it docked, because a floating toolbar conceals the text under it, while a docked toolbar squeezes the text aside so all of it is visible all the time. But your suggestion seems to be the best compromise between what I need and what is objectively possible in OOWriter (until a simple update comes along). I'll try and see if I can get used to it.
vlojen

Re: Navigator Autohides in FullScreen

Post by vlojen »

After upgrade to OO.o 2.4, the floating Navigator cannot be switched on/off in FullScreen by pressing F5. If the FullScreen is on, then nothing happens when I press F5. Is this a feature of the upgrade, or am I doing something wrong here?
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

I didn't see anything about either full screen mode or Navigator in the Release Notes, nor in the full list of bug fixes. I confirm that the Navigator and Stylist disappear along with all other toolbars except the "Full Screen" toolbar, even when I choose "dock all toolbars" in the toolbar's extended commands, and it cannot be invoked with F5.

It's difficult to tell what should happen here. According to the Help file, Full Screen view "Shows or hides the menus and toolbars in Writer or Calc. To exit the full screen mode, click the Full Screen On/Off button." But also, "You can still use shortcut keys in Full Screen mode, even though the menus are unavailable. To open the View menu, press Alt+V." However, it isn't a shortcut but a function key that invokes or hides the Navigator. I haven't yet found anything that covers this in OpenOffice.org Specification Project.

If you press Alt+E to view the Edit menu from full screen, you'll see Navigator is disabled, so it's not available at all. (Same with Find & Replace, and a number of other edit functions.) I'd like a more specific definition of Full Screen, to know whether the current behavior is intended, or the previous behavior was.

The IssueTracker also has nothing reported or requested that I could find (just searching for full screen) so you might want to file an issue there... or I could if you prefer.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
vlojen

Post by vlojen »

Thanks for prompt reply. You seem to be more at ease with filing issues than me, so I'd appreciate if you do it.

I can confirm that in OO.o 2.3.1 Writer, while FullScreen is on, it is possible to toggle Navigator on/off when it is not docked. And that's the difference to 2.4 version. When Navigator is docked, it is not visible in FullScreen and it cannot be toggled on in either version.

The desired outcome, I think, would be to have the on/off control for Navigator completely independent of the FullScreen status.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

I have filed issue 87897, "Navigator no longer available with F5 in full screen mode."

We'll see what the devs have to say. It's possible there was a change that I simply wasn't able to locate... or it's possible this is a new bug. Either way, I hope it works out for you. Good luck.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit