[Solved] Help with headers and footers

Discuss the word processor
austerus

[Solved] Help with headers and footers

Post by austerus »

Hello everyone,

I have a small but very annoying issue in Open Office Writer.
I have this document of about 100 pages and in each of those pages I wanted to have a header and a footer. I went to Insert > Header > Default and voila! I had header and footer. I put my text there, did the same for Footer, no problems, all was nice.

Then I sent the document to someone and when I got it back, I had my header and footer only in half the pages, the rest had an empty header and footer. After that, no matter what I did, I couldn't revert to the initial stage when I had the same header and footer everywhere. I can still put my content in the empty headers and footers and have everything nice, but after that if I change something in header or footer I have to redo the change manually everywhere.

The weird thing is that now in that submenu of Insert > Header (and Footer), aside from Default I have a load of options saying Convert 1, Convert 2, Convert 3, etc ...

What are those Convert 1, 2,3 ,etc and how can I remove them so I'll be back to have one footer and header (the same footer and header) on each and every page?

Open Office version: 3.1.0
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
keme
Volunteer

Re: Help with headers and footers

Post by keme »

A guess:
Somewhere in the process, the document has been saved as a MS Word document (*.doc format) or some other foreign storage format. Try to reapply the previous page style to the entire document.

Possible explanation:
AFAIK, the MS Word format doesn't support the maintenance of page styles, and the page style is the anchoring point of the header/footer in OOo Writer documents (I do not have intimate knowledge of either storage format, though, so do not take this as any kind of reference). If someone then edited the document using MS Word, it may have "corrected" the header/footer anchoring reference, automatically generating new objects as needed (those objects would be your "Convert"s). Writer then sees the new objects as discrete, not the same header/footer anymore.

Those things happen, and are the reason for the message of "possible data loss" when saving with a foreign format.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
austerus

Re: Help with headers and footers

Post by austerus »

keme wrote:If someone then edited the document using MS Word, it may have "corrected" the header/footer anchoring reference, automatically generating new objects as needed (those objects would be your "Convert"s).
Hey keme and thanks for the reply.

I got the idea now and indeed, that must be it. Didn't realize that those things were styles created on conversion. That really solved my problem. Thanks!