[Solved] Paragraph numbering

Discuss the word processor
gewald

[Solved] Paragraph numbering

Post by gewald »

I'm brand new to this forum and am just starting to learn and use OO writer. What I need to know is how to completely and permanently turn off paragraph numbering. Every time I hit enter to start a new paragraph, it wants to assign a number. Some of the time it will pop up a little bar menu on which I can click the second square from the left and the shaded number will go away. But then after I've typed a few lines and hit enter, the same thing happens. I went to format, paragraph, numbering (or something like that) and turned off numbering there, but again, it only turns if off for the current paragraph, not for subsequent one's.. Its just very frusturating to have to turn off numbering manually for every paragraph. What am I missing or doing wrong? I'm using version 2.3.1.
Thanks in advance, Glenn
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved and moved it to the right forum.
acknak

Re: Paragraph numbering

Post by acknak »

Writer notices that your paragraph starts with a number and assumes you're trying to type a numbered list. This auto-list feature can be quite handy once you get used to it, but I can also understand how you want to turn it off.

To turn off all automatic formatting:
Format > AutoFormat > While typing = OFF (box is un-checked)

To turn off only the auto list recognition:
Tools > Autocorrect > Options > "Apply numbering – symbol: •" = OFF (box is un-checked)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
gewald

Re: Paragraph numbering

Post by gewald »

Thank you very much. Your response turned on the light for me, as I now recall that the numbering problem only showed up when I inserted my own numbering , and worked fine on alpha chars only. Thanks again!