Converting from Word Perfect

Discuss the word processor
nitnoi

Converting from Word Perfect

Post by nitnoi »

I have several old documents - minutes from Home Owners Association meetings - which are in Word Perfect format. Is there a converter (or reader) available that will let me convert these to .odt or .doc format?

Thanks!
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: Converting from Word Perfect

Post by foxcole »

nitnoi wrote:I have several old documents - minutes from Home Owners Association meetings - which are in Word Perfect format. Is there a converter (or reader) available that will let me convert these to .odt or .doc format?
There is a very convenient search box in the top right corner of your forum window. ;) You don't even have to log in to use it, which I find handy at times.

I typed in "word perfect" (no quotes) and found this right away. Re: Word Perfect and Office compatible??. It contains a link to the old forum where the information you need is documented.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

There is one other option for Wordperfect - use one of the available OpenOffice.org binaries that support *.wpd import directly.

For example the version that ships with most Linux distributions has this, as does the version available from Novell and I believe the binary available at go-ooo.org.

I have not tried it to know how accurate or exactly which versions of WP is supports but it is in there. That feature should therefore be in the queue to eventually get to the main code trunk and become part of the vanilla version of OpenOffice.org available from the main web site download page, but I have no clue as to how long before, or if, that will happen.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

In that case, for Windows users, it could be as simple as using a bootable CD or DVD of the appropriate Linux distro. They can be downloaded as ISOs, or bought as magazine cover discs.