[Solved] Horizontal line breaks

Discuss the word processor
jrtayloriv

[Solved] Horizontal line breaks

Post by jrtayloriv »

I don't know if I should file a bug report on this ... I copy/pasted a block of text from one .odt document to another. At the bottom of the copied block was a "horizontal line" (formed by typing "---- ENTER" in the original document). I pasted the block at the very bottom of the new document, which left the horizontal line at the bottom of the document with no text after it. So I am unable to select the horizontal line and select "Default Formatting" by pressing CTRL-M to remove the line. Is there any way to remove the line?

Also, why does it always writer always just keep adding new horizontal lines whenever I press ENTER when I am above one of the horizontal lines ... I don't see how this is useful. It's a constant irritation ... any way to turn this "feature" off?

Thanks,
jrtayloriv

P.S. I am using a binary build of OO in Gentoo Linux, if that makes any difference ...
Last edited by jrtayloriv on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Linux-Other
Hagar Delest

Re: Horizontal line breaks

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: [Solved] Unknown solid line.

Note that for copy/paste, you can use the paste as unformatted text (long click on the paste icon) to be sure that you don't keep any formatting.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

... I am unable to select the horizontal line and select "Default Formatting" by pressing CTRL-M to remove the line. Is there any way to remove the line?

Also, why does it always writer always just keep adding new horizontal lines ... any way to turn this "feature" off?
You can turn this off under Tools > AutoCorrect > Options > Apply Border: NO (unchecked).

You can understand more about how/why it works this way from this thread: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =7&t=10997

Because the horizontal line is really really just a border on an empty paragraph, there is nothing to select. If you place the cursor in the empty paragraph (use View > Nonprinting Characters to see where it is), you can then use Format > Default (Ctrl+M) to remove the special border formatting.

The line keeps reappearing when you press Enter because Writer automatically copies the formatting of the previous paragraph to the new paragraph. The formatting specifies a border, so the line seems to be duplicated.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jrtayloriv

Post by jrtayloriv »

Thank you acknak --

I wasn't saying I didn't understand why the shortcut for creating horizontal lines was useful -- I meant to create the line, and like being able to do so quickly. What I was talking about that bothered me was how it created new lines when I pressed enter. But your the part of your post regarding borders helped me understand how to make it where that doesn't happen ...

Thanks for the help.
Jrtayloriv
OOo 3.0.X on Linux-Other
morphingstar

Re: [Solved] Horizontal line breaks

Post by morphingstar »

this "border removal" does not work
1) paragraph border shows no border, click "NO" anyway
2) When I work on the line the next RETURN will add a border, even if I managed to "remove" the previous border.
3) When I choose the HEADING a border will be added, though the heading format excludes a border, none selected. That is when a line was shown there before. In other areas of the text such Heading will not add a border / line.
4) it is the pain of OO 3.4.1.
5) OO HELP has no word for the removal of the no longer wanted line . 20130428.
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
peppy

Post by peppy »

This worked for me and my horizontal line disappeared. I clicked on the paragraph that says "View >nonprinting characters. Then I went to Format and clicked default and the line disappeared. Thank You.
Open Office Windows 3.1 Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
peppy

Post by peppy »

Thank you acknak.
I am still trying to figure out how to post. I meant to thank you in my earlier post which showed up below. I thought it was going to show up near yours, so you would see it.
It was your instructions I read that helped me delete the pesky horizontal line.
Open Office Windows 3.1 Windows 10