[Solved] Table within a table; rogue space

Discuss the word processor
morbus

[Solved] Table within a table; rogue space

Post by morbus »

The attached screenshot is crucial to understanding my problem
(and if anyone knows how to make it right-align, please do so).
Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (12.04 KiB) Viewed 4041 times
The screenshot shows three tables (with table boundaries on). The first table is just that - a regular ol' table. It was my first attempt to do what I wanted. The second table is my second attempt, which solves the primary problem with the first table: the contents of the cells should center themselves against the header, whilst remaining the same distance from each other. To accomplish this, I created a table within table and set its alignment to Center.

In doing so, however, it created an extra line of space beneath the inner table (seen in the second table, beneath the table boundaries of the inner table). I can't, for the life of me, get rid of this space. Both the outer and inner table have 0.00" for the "Spacing to contents" field. The "Table Contents" paragraph style, applied to the tables has 0's in all the Indents & Spacing. I *am* using "register true" on both the page and default paragraph styles, but that has been shut off for the tables and "Table Contents" style.

In an attempt to rule out what was causing it, I copied the first table, creating a third table, and then added a table inside a cell, with no customization. That's the third table in the screenshot, and you'll see the space is in there too. What is it? How can I get rid of it?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
acknak

Re: Table within a table; rogue space

Post by acknak »

See this thread (among others): [Solved] Making the blank line after the table invisible. The document attached there contains some instructions.

Your nested table situation is the most difficult to deal with. You have to start with tab-separated text, then use Table > Convert > Text to Table to convert that into the inner table. This operation consumes the extra paragraph.

Also, nested tables are still relatively immature in OOo. I find that they have lots of glitches with common operations like selections, and Writer can crash working with them. Save your work often!

E.g. ...
Attachments
nested_tables.odt
(9.4 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
morbus

Re: Table within a table; rogue space

Post by morbus »

Gah. Apparently, my searchfu wasn't strong enough for this one. My apologies. (Solved.)
morbus

Re: [Solved] Table within a table; rogue space

Post by morbus »

acknak: do you have a better way of doing what I'm hoping to do? I've since discovered an annoying problem with this particular fix (not using a hidden paragraph): I can no longer easily set the background color of the outer parent table cells. Heh. (EDIT: I switched over to using the Hidden Paragraph and can now set parent table properties easily enough by toggling their appearance.)
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
acknak

Re: [Solved] Table within a table; rogue space

Post by acknak »

As I said, working with nested tables brings many glitches, requiring patience and ingenuity to find workarounds.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23