[Solved] How Do I Write in Pinyin in OpenOffice Writer?

Discuss the word processor
gedaozhen

[Solved] How Do I Write in Pinyin in OpenOffice Writer?

Post by gedaozhen »

I have previously set up that other word processor, Microsoft Word, so that I could write in pinyin using a macro. I tried using the same macro in Open Office Word but it didn't understand the programming...the programming language isn't the same. Does someone know where I can find a macro written for Open Office Word to translate text like this "ni3 hao3" into pinyin like this "nǐ hǎo"? If there is a way to do this other than a macro then that would be good too. Thanks so much for your help!

P.S. This is what I used for Microsoft Word by the way... http://www.pinyinjoe.com/pinyin/pinyin_macro.htm
Last edited by gedaozhen on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Re: How Do I Write in Pinyin in Open Office Word?

Post by Robert Tucker »

See if Pinyinput does what you want:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?t=13005

There are other ways of typing Pinyin in directly and there are a number of online converters from Pinyin tone numbers to Pinyin tone marks, as you probably already know.
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
gedaozhen

Re: How Do I Write in Pinyin in Open Office Word?

Post by gedaozhen »

Thank you! I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like just what I wanted. This should save me a lot of copy and pasting time. :)
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
bobgates01

Re: [Solved] How Do I Write in Pinyin in OpenOffice Writer?

Post by bobgates01 »

Perhaps, I should repost this topic.

I have the same issue and the macro that the original poster noted was of tremendous value when writting pinyin in Ms Word. However, I have moved on to a linux system and am using OOO Writer.

If anyone has been able to re-write the macro to run on Writer, it would be of great value to those of us who need the ability to write pinyin with the correct tone marks.

The solution presented in the original topic does not apply in the linux world. One poster mentioned that he was using "auto correct" and "auto text" to accomplish this, but there were no specifics.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] How Do I Write in Pinyin in OpenOffice Writer?

Post by Robert Tucker »

SCIM and pinyin input works for tone marks 1-4 but not 5. (Since tone mark 5 consists of no mark at all, that shouldn't be too much of a problem, I guess!)
pinyin.jpg
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.