[Solved] Excluding title page from page numbering

Discuss the word processor
tom11

[Solved] Excluding title page from page numbering

Post by tom11 »

At the beginning of my book I have the Cover and it looks silly having a page number there, but if I delete the header page number from there, then it gets deleted from everywhere?

Is there a way to just start your page numbering from a certain page?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On another note, how do I make a thread "Unsolved" after I have already made it solved?
(Unchecking the green tick above the subject line on another thread of mine doesn't seem to do it)
Last edited by tom11 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Excluding title page from page numbering

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

We encourage users to search before posting. What you want is easily achieved.

See this tutorial [Tutorial] Page numbering.

If this has answered your question, please go to your first post and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can also use the green tick icon.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

TheGurkha wrote:Hi and welcome to the forums.

We encourage users to search before posting. What you want is easily achieved.

See this tutorial [Tutorial] Page numbering.

If this has answered your question, please go to your first post and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can also use the green tick icon.
Hi thanks for link, I did previously search this forum with a similar search to the title of this thread as well as "conceptual_guide_OOo_3_ebook" which I have downloaded.

Will see if I can grasp what's on your link now.

I am afraid this:
Theparagraph wrote: Having parts without numbering
As said above, the page number is linked to the page style. Therefore, if you want parts with numbering and some without, you need different page styles.

Restarting a page number
Never use the Offset feature you can see in the page number field dialog! The ToC is based on the real page numbering, it doesn't take into account the offset feature. Moreover, your last page won't have any numbering if the correction is positive.

* Go to the first paragraph of the page to be renumbered, right click and select Paragraph.
* Go to the Text Flow tab, in the Breaks section, adjust the page number.
doesn't make it clear for me how to stop the header being started on the cover page in the first place and the reason I want to do that is because as soon as the header is started there it stuffs my whole cover page.

What it appears Hagar is alluding to is renumbering a page after they have all had headers and numbers initially inserted.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

No.

You have to use different page styles. The page style dictyates what happens on each page according to headers, footers, numbering etc.

Use teh default Front Page style for the front page or define your own. Tehn end that page with Insert > Manual Break, select Page Break and then choose the next page style to use from the drop down: either the ready-supplied Default or your own pre-defined style.

You can have all sorts of different page styles defined and used throughout a document, with different attributes:

Front Page (no numbering)
Contents (i, ii, iii ...)
Standard Body text (1, 2, 3 ......)
Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

TheGurkha wrote:No.

You have to use different page styles. The page style dictyates what happens on each page according to headers, footers, numbering etc.

Use teh default Front Page style for the front page or define your own. Tehn end that page with Insert > Manual Break, select Page Break and then choose the next page style to use from the drop down: either the ready-supplied Default or your own pre-defined style.

You can have all sorts of different page styles defined and used throughout a document, with different attributes:

No doubt you have a solution there, and thanks for your efforts, but as soon as I posted I went searching your link again and found this page:
http://www.8daysaweek.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34

which didn't exactly give me the answer I was looking for but a major pointer and from there I got what might be the easiest way for dummies to preserve ones cover page from damaging automatic headers:

My solution for dummies is (possibly much longer for pros) -> click cursor on first or cover page
-> depress F11 on keyboard to get Styles and Formatting window
->left click "Page styles" in that window (which is the 4th icon from the left at the top)
-> right click "First page"
->select "Modify" that brings a box called "Page Style; First page" with the "Organiser" tab automatically selected and in the Name row is "First page" (if not type it there) and in the "Next Style" row is "Default" (if not type it there)
-> click OK
-> click cursor in the header of the first page that has a header (eg the next page down or technically the second page)
-> type "Page" in a position where you would prefer to see it on all pages
-> depress space key three times
->click "Insert" at top left of toolbar
-> select field->select page number-> and you are done.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Yes. You've set the Page Style for the First Page, as in my post, and then for subsequent pages you're using the Default page style.

It is usally better to define a Page Style of your own than to change one of the pre-supplied ones (you can derive a style from them) but what you said will work.

Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

TheGurkha wrote:No.

Use the default Front Page style for the front page or define your own. Then end that page with Insert > Manual Break, select Page Break and then choose the next page style to use from the drop down: either the ready-supplied Default
The only page styles I see are "None" "Default" "Envelope" "First page" "HTM" "Index" "Left page" and "Right page"

TheGurkha wrote:or your own pre-defined style.

I dont see anywhere to type my options in on the "Insert Break" box?

Not that I would understand what to put in anyway :oops: but I am no natural techie.

Anyway your first post got me my answer, so thanks.

This is the only issue left preventing me easily creating a basic PDF book:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =7&t=11809
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

You create your own styles in the F11 Style window. Once you have then you can pick them from the Insert manual break drop down menu you mentioned.

Sorry, I was using Front Page instead of First Page, my mistake.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.

Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

TheGurkha wrote:You create your own styles in the F11 Style window. Once you have then you can pick them from the Insert manual break drop down menu you mentioned.

Sorry haven't grasped how to create my own styles in F11 at all, or what styles I would put in there even if I could.

I HAVE learnt how to how to start the numbering from page 2 only, as detailed above, which is still encouraging, but so far no amount of experimenting with page breaks has allowed me to start page numbering from page 4 which is where I want to start.

My attempt to do this has been-> click cursor at the end of page 3->Click "Insert" in top left hand corner->select "Manual break"->check "Page break" ->and under "style" ->select "Default" or "First page"and sure enough I get a gap shown on the next page. (Page 4)

Then by ->insert -> selecting "Header" -> selecting "First page"->then -> Insert-> select Fields -> select "Numbers" sure enough I get my page numbering starting on page 4 which is where I want it. But there is no header space or numbering on page 5 and continuing down.

Any attempt to select "Default" at any time of inserting "Header" goes right back to the first page and stuffs all the pictures on my cover. But yet it seems Default setting after page 4 is exactly what i need to get the continuing down of headers and numbers from page 4.

I am afraid the only way I am going to get helped here is with the -> to -> sequence by sequence system.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Excluding title page from page numbering

Post by TheGurkha »

See my example document.

Cover page with no numbers.
Front material pages (contents and preface etc) roman numerals starting at i, ii, etc
Then main book pages starting at 1, 2 etc.

Note the use of the page styles. In the F11 sylist, right-click a style, such as Contents and choose modify to see the settings for that style.
Example.odt
(59.67 KiB) Downloaded 1299 times
Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

TheGurkha wrote:See my example document.

Cover page with no numbers.
Front material pages (contents and preface etc) roman numerals starting at i, ii, etc
Then main book pages starting at 1, 2 etc.

Note the use of the page styles. In the F11 sylist, right-click a style, such as Contents and choose modify to see the settings for that style.
Example.odt
Thanks I do appreciate your efforts but my mission on this thread has first and foremost been to find the easiest possible way to insulate certain pages against damaging headers and numbers altogether, and secondly to start page numbering from page 4.

I understand you are telling me the answer is in page styles
TheGurkha wrote: In the F11 sylist, right-click a style, such as Contents and choose modify to see the settings for that style.
but doing that and seeing only "Contents1" to "Contents 10" with no "Contents" still leaves me treading water.

Even when I ->right-click Contents1 and select ->modify another whole box called Paragraph style Contents1 comes up with a whole lot more choices.
All I am looking for is arrow to arrow ->-> instructions on how to get repeating headers and page numbers starting after pages 1- 3 which I don't want any headers or numbers on.

Experimenting myself, I might get there in 10 mins or ten hours.
tom11

Post by tom11 »

Come on Gurkha I know you can do it. ;)

......Sounds like the PCs might have worn you down abit too.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

OK, let me get this straight.

Front page - no numbers no headers no footers
Front material (contents etc) do you want to have a header with roman numerals or with no numbers/no headers at all?
Body material - header with numbers, but do you want the body text to start with 1 or with 4 (or whatver sheet number it happens to be)?
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Right, here it comes.

Start with a blank document. Go to View and select the Text Boundaries option.

In the status bar it will say Page 1/1 and Default. That 'default' means you are using the default page style.

The Page Style defines whether headers and footers are on, the format of the page numbers, and a whole, whole lot more. For the purposes of this exercise we can ignore almost all of the other settings.

By 'telling' the different Page Styles what we want from them, and then 'telling' the document which Page Style to apply to which pages, we get the end result we desire.

In the blank Document, press F11 so that the Style and Formatting window opens (this is typically called the Stylist). I usually find it most convenient to dock this to the right side of the screen.

Hover the mouse over the 4th from left icon. The tooltip says 'Page Styles'. Click this icon. You'll see a short list of pre-defined Page styles.

We're going to

Use First Page style for the front cover
Define a style called Front Material for the preface, contents and so on
Define a style called Body for the body of the document.

To define our new Front Material style:

Right click in the Stylist and select New... from the menu
The Page Style dialog appears. Type 'Front Material' in the Name field
Pick 'Front Material' from the Next Style drop down

Click the Page Tab.
From the Format tab select i, ii, iii, …
Click the Header Tab, and select the 'Header On' check box.
Click OK.

The Front Material page style now appears in the Stylist list.

To define our new Body style:

The Page Style dialog appears. Type 'Body' in the Name field
Pick 'Body' from the Next Style drop down

Click the Page Tab.
From the Format tab select 1, 2, 3, …
Click OK.

We now have our styles defined. Note that you can do this before you start entering content into the document like we are in this example, or later and apply them to the document, it doesn't matter.

To apply the styles:

So far we have a single page document, in the Default style.

Type 'Cover sheet' or something like that on the first page. Then click on the First Page style in the Stylist and then click the 6th icon in the Stylist, the Fill Format Mode 'paint pot'. The cursor changes to a paint pot. Click on the first page. Notice that the Default in the status bar now says First Page. Click on the Fill Format Mode icon again to turn off the fill mode. The cursor goes back to an arrow.

Go to Insert > Manual Break, a small dialog appears.
Select Page Break and then choose Front Material from the Style drop down menu.
Select the Change page number check box and set the page number to be 1.
Click OK.

You will have a new page.

Note that with the cursor in the front page the status bar says First Page and with the cursor on the second page the status bar says Front Material. Also note that the second page has a header but the cover page does not.

Click in the header of the Front Material page and go to Insert > Fields > Page Number. You will see that a page number appears, starting at page one, displayed in Roman lower case numerals: i. There will be no change to the front cover sheet.

Now that we are using the Front Material page style, each time the text you type moves onto a new page or you force a new page with Ctrl+Enter, we get a new Front Material style page. Hit Ctrl+Enter a few times. Each time you do so you will have a new page with a header and lower case Roman numeral page number. Do this a few times.

To tell the document that we are now entering the Body of the document, we insert a Page Break again, and this time set the Style to move to to be Body.

Select Page Break and then choose Body from the Style drop down menu.
Select the Change page number check box and set the page number to be 1 (or any other number, 4, 10, 28 ...).
Click OK.

Note that with the cursor in the new page the status bar says Body, with the cursor in the cover sheet the status bar reads First Page and with the cursor on the second page the status bar says Front Material.

Click in the header of the Body page and go to Insert > Fields > Page Number. You will see that a page number appears, starting at page one, displayed in regular numbers: 1.

Now that we are using the Body page style, each time the text you type moves onto a new page or you force a new page with Ctrl+Enter, we get a new Body style page. Hit Ctrl+Enter a few times. Each time you do so you will have a new page with a header and page number in 1, 2, 3 numerals.

Do this a few times to verify.

Now, the advantage of Styles is that at any time during the life of the document, if you go to the Stylist and right click ona Style you are using inthe document and select Modify, you can make a change and that change is applied to all pages of that style throughout the document. And the same with Paragrahy styles, Character styles and so on.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

Thanks alot for that, now trying to abbreviate that so as to just have the first three cover pages with no headers
and no numbering and the rest/body of the work with headers and numbering,
I figure I can just use Default style for the first three cover pages (because it is automatically set with no Footers
and Headers on)
and use a Body style for the rest of it.

So I have opened a new OO.0 page
-> copied 4 pages of text onto it
->Depressed F11
->left clicked page styles tab
->Right Clicked in it
-> Selected New
-> Selected Organiser from Grey box that appears
->entered Body into both Name and Next style rows
->clicked Page tab and
-> Selected 1,2,3...
-> Clicked Header tab
->checked Header on box
-> clicked Ok
->Now on the fourth page I have clicked my cursor
-> clicked Insert
->Manual Break
-> Page break
and this gives me a small framed row that appears at the top of each page with page 1 on that page and all following pages

The only problems are;
1. I don't want to see the frame
2. I want the number to change with each page
3. I cant seem to get rid of that page break by going through the same ->insert-> Manual break->Page break process again. But dont reply yet, because I will see if I can achieve my ends some other way from what you have written.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

i have no idea why you're doing what you're doing. Do what I said in my big post.It's a lot of writing but it takes very little time to actually do.

You don't want to waste time and energy trying to find other ways to reach the same ends. By doing that there's every chance you're painting yourself into a corner for future document changes or needs.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

Ok the reason I tried to do it differently was because I only need two "styles" and I couldn't figure out how to just get the first style to give me three Footer and Header and Numberless pages but I will keep trying with your model
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Modify the styles to suit.

Use First Page style for the cover - no headers not footers.
Right click on Contents in the Stylist. Remove the header and footer.
Use Body for the rest of the document.

1 page of front cover, 2 pages of contents - Gives you 3 pages with no header and no footer. Better to do it this way than with a single style. If in the future you want headers in the Contents section you just amend the Contents style and the cover sheet stays the same (because it is using the First Page style) but the pages using the Contents style are updated to reflect the changes.

Rest of the document will be in Body (or Default, or some other style you create).
Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

Just in case this bug in my PC crashes me, thanks till I get my new PC.
(on credit card again of course :D )
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

tom11 wrote:
TheGurkha wrote:You create your own styles in the F11 Style window. Once you have then you can pick them from the Insert manual break drop down menu you mentioned.

Sorry haven't grasped how to create my own styles in F11 at all, or what styles I would put in there even if I could.
You may need to get a walk-through but first can I suggest that you have a look at Ch13 - Working with Styles of the Getting Started Guide and Chapters 6 - Introduction to Styles and 7 - Working with Styles in the Writer Guide at http://documentation.openoffice.org/man ... index.html ?

Much of OOo is based on Styles and getting a quick overview of what they are and what they do can clear up a lot of confusion and make it easier to explain things to a new user.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
tom11

Post by tom11 »

Thanks Jrkrideau and special thanks to TheGurkha for his patience and excellent instructions, which despite a few doubts of mine, proved to be right on the button.

I have had a virus that has stuffed my PC and health hassels, but just knowing that there are people out there who will help other people makes me determined to do my bit.

Cheers Tom
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Glad you got it sorted.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

TheGurkha wrote:Glad you got it sorted.
I can't seem to contact you Gurkha. I have something that could help what you are doing.
tom1nz@**** or skypename ***
Last edited by TheGurkha on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal data.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

If you want to share something, then post it here. No one will contact you by email. They will reply here in the thread so other forum users can see the discussions.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
tom11

Post by tom11 »

There is just one issue that I never cleared up here and that is when I follow your instructions to the tee, I get all my different page styles ok,

but if ever I am deleting text on the top of the page next to the cover,

it is very easy to somehow not only delete all the text, but also the header and numbering for all that style?

Of course I can always just add a Manual Page Break again and select that Style again, but if there is a way to seal a page against losing it's Break, that would be ideal. All the same it looks like your efforts to explain here have been well appreciated judging by the page views Cheers Tom
acknak

Post by acknak »

... if there is a way to seal a page against losing it's Break, that would be ideal.
Unfortunately, there's no way to prevent this--at least that I know of.

You can always "Undo" if you see that you've deleted too much.

It might be worth reporting the problem--I would agree that the way OOo Writer handles editing around page breaks is less than ideal. [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
tom11

Post by tom11 »

Ok thanks very much for your reply.
Will finish this last manuscript update at home here and then maybe submit the problem for management's consideration there.
Really appreciate the help I get here.
Tom
jyoz

Post by jyoz »

TheGurkha wrote:Right, here it comes.

In the status bar it will say Page 1/1 and Default. That 'default' means you are using the default page style.

The Page Style defines whether headers and footers are on, the format of the page numbers, and a whole, whole lot more. For the purposes of this exercise we can ignore almost all of the other settings.

By 'telling' the different Page Styles what we want from them, and then 'telling' the document which Page Style to apply to which pages, we get the end result we desire.

In the blank Document, press F11 so that the Style and Formatting window opens (this is typically called the Stylist). I usually find it most convenient to dock this to the right side of the screen.

Hover the mouse over the 4th from left icon. The tooltip says 'Page Styles'. Click this icon. You'll see a short list of pre-defined Page styles.

We're going to

Click the Page Tab.
Click OK.

Click the Page Tab.
Click OK.

We now have our styles defined. Note that you can do this before you start entering content into the document like we are in this example, or later and apply them to the document, it doesn't matter.

To apply the styles:

Type 'Cover sheet' or something like that on the first page. Then click on the First Page style in the Stylist and then click the 6th icon in the Stylist, the Fill Format Mode 'paint pot'. The cursor changes to a paint pot. Click on the first page. Notice that the Default in the status bar now says First Page. Click on the Fill Format Mode icon again to turn off the fill mode. The cursor goes back to an arrow.

Click OK.

Note that with the cursor in the front page the status bar says First Page and with the cursor on the second page the status bar says Front Material. Also note that the second page has a header but the cover page does not.

Click in the header of the Front Material page and go to Insert > Fields > Page Number. You will see that a page number appears, starting at page one, displayed in Roman lower case numerals: i. There will be no change to the front cover sheet.

Now that we are using the Front Material page style, each time the text you type moves onto a new page or you force a new page with Ctrl+Enter, we get a new Front Material style page. Hit Ctrl+Enter a few times. Each time you do so you will have a new page with a header and lower case Roman numeral page number. Do this a few times.

To tell the document that we are now entering the Body of the document, we insert a Page Break again, and this time set the Style to move to to be Body.

Select the Change page number check box and set the page number to be 1 (or any other number, 4, 10, 28 ...).
Click OK.

Note that with the cursor in the new page the status bar says Body, with the cursor in the cover sheet the status bar reads First Page and with the cursor on the second page the status bar says Front Material.

Click in the header of the Body page and go to Insert > Fields > Page Number. You will see that a page number appears, starting at page one, displayed in regular numbers: 1.

Now that we are using the Body page style, each time the text you type moves onto a new page or you force a new page with Ctrl+Enter, we get a new Body style page. Hit Ctrl+Enter a few times. Each time you do so you will have a new page with a header and page number in 1, 2, 3 numerals.

Now, the advantage of Styles is that at any time during the life of the document, if you go to the Stylist and right click ona Style you are using inthe document and select Modify, you can make a change and that change is applied to all pages of that style throughout the document. And the same with Paragrahy styles, Character styles and so on.
I'm trying to follow this guide, but it seems too complicated to me. At the beginning of the guide you say to start a new document, but what if I have a started document? How do I manage it? I have this document of 11 pages and I'd like to star the page numbering from the 3 page, but I couldn't manage to do it,
Open Office 3.1.1 on MAC OS 10.6.2
NeoTrggr

Post by NeoTrggr »

TheGurkha wrote:Right, here it comes.

We're going to

Click the Page Tab.
Click OK.

Click the Page Tab.
Click OK.

To apply the styles:

Click OK.

Click OK.

Thanks for the tip! I have to type a 9 page report for my class and i had a use a format the uses a title page, table of contents, abstract page, introduction, and the rest of the pages. for the abstract page I had to use in the header i,ii,iii page number format and then 1,2,3 for the rest of the report and i couldn't for my life figure out how to get it to format like the way my teacher wanted but thanks to you I now know how too
OpenOffice 3.3.0/LibreOffice
Windows Vista/Ubuntu 11.10
krash

Specifying page number

Post by krash »

I'm new to this, and honestly it's nuts to me. :ucrazy:
Adding a page number field to the footers is fine, but they don't give a simple option to set the page number, that from what I've read is buried in paragraph and page break formatting :crazy:
Is there a strait forward/easy way to add page numbers that start with a specific number?
I am working with a 24 page blank book layout, and am trying not to muck it up with all kinds of unnecessary formatting.
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
Windows XP