Printing Envelopes

Discuss the word processor
Treacan

Printing Envelopes

Post by Treacan »

I have managed to print an envelope. The only problem is that the preview pane does not work in either the 'Envelope' or 'Format' Screens. There is a square area in the bottom right hand corner but nothing shows in it.
Before you print out an envelope there's supposed to be a preview screen so you can see what the envelope looks lime. That feature does not work.
The envelope menu has four areas in it: Addressee, Sender and one area top right with 3 different pull down menus; below that there is a rectangular area that is empty, which is supposed to be the preview screen. Unless I have misunderstood something.
Ben

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Treacan on Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Printing Envelopes

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sorry that I cannot help as I don't understand the question. Did you solve your problem yet? If so, please tell us how, and edit your first post to select the green tick.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi Ben,

I must agree to Bhikkhu Pesala, I do not really understand your problem either.

What is the exact feature that doesn't work? How do you activate the preview screen you mention?

Can you maybe post a screenshot that shows the problem? You can use a bitmap file format (preferably PNG) using e.g. IrfanView and add this file to your post.
This is done by clicking on the Upload attachment tab below the editing window when writing a post.

Regards, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I deleted your duplicate post. One Issue, One Thread please.
Idiot Compassion
Treacan

Post by Treacan »

You click on Insert in open office Writer
Then you click on Envelope
In that screen in either Envelope or Format, there is a rectangle in the bottom right corner. It is a preview Field and there is nothing init.
In the help section search for envelope. click on the second Envelope and get a screen on the right. the last entry is called "Preview Field." I cannot find a Preview button anywhere when trying to print an envelope.
I hope this is clear.
Ben
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

He is correct. Nothing appears in the box in the lower right corner in V3.0. Treacan, you can see your envelope by clicking the "New Document" button as a work around. I don't remember if this was like this in V2.4.1. I no longer have it installed.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Don't you need to load a database mailing list for the preview to work?
Idiot Compassion
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I do have a valid source. Nothing shows in the lower right hand box. Not only that the sender information in my case is not picked up properly.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

It's the same in 2.4.1.

That's what it looks like in 2.3.1:
Dialog.png
But this layout shown in the box is static, i.e. it does not change depending on the contents.

So indeed this is a minor bug.
For me it is not relevant, as indeed I can create the envelope and then change the layout.

Ben, if the bug is relevant to you, I suggest you file file an issue about it. I would suggest Priority P4.

Regards, phil
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

It's true that the preview no longer works but you can click Insert and if you need to make a modification do Insert > Envelope again. This does not insert a new envelope but allows you to adjust the current one which is why the Insert button changes to Modify.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

OK, that's cool, wasn't aware of that! 8-)
In this case the preview is really obsolete, maybe they have deliberately disabled it.

Regards, phil
vincew

Post by vincew »

I think the preview pane should show whats happening. This is a bug! The "Getting Started with OpenOffice3" book shows it working. Having it dangling and empty is is one more reason to stay with other suites.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP SP3, Compaq Laptop