[Solved] Rotating page with Header/Footer staying in place

Discuss the word processor
Hena

[Solved] Rotating page with Header/Footer staying in place

Post by Hena »

I have tried to insert a table from Calc into Writer (using OO 2.4). The table is in landscape format while the text document is in portrait format. Now I could (using sections and page delimiters) switch the format into landscape for the two pages, but that messes up the header and footer for those pages. So is there a good way to rotate the table 90 degrees or not not rotating the Header and Footer while rotating rest of the page?
Last edited by Hena on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Cambirder
Volunteer

Re: Rotating page with Header and Footer staying in place

Post by Cambirder »

You can do it by pasting the table into Draw as a GDI metafile, rotate it then copy and paste into Writer.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Another way is to insert the table in a frame and change the frame's text direction to Left to right vertical. This works OK if the table is to be on the right-hand page. Not so good otherwise.

The best method IMO is to rotate the page to landscape, but turn off the headers. Instead put the page number (and header) in an additional table column, or in a text frame. Keeping the table in normal orientation makes it easier to proof read and edit. Only the page numbers and header need to be "vertical" on the screen.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'd take two print runs. One for the header/footer, and one for the rest.

David.
Hena

Post by Hena »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The best method IMO is to rotate the page to landscape, but turn off the headers. Instead put the page number (and header) in an additional table column, or in a text frame. Keeping the table in normal orientation makes it easier to proof read and edit. Only the page numbers and header need to be "vertical" on the screen.
Can you switch off the headers and footers per page?

Thanks for all the suggestions though. GDI metafile thing sounds like simplest choice (as long as the sizes are same as scaling text usually messes it up).
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hena wrote:Can you switch off the headers and footers per page?
Just use a different page style for your landscape pages, and turn off the header for that page style. See the Writer Tutorials if you're not familiar with using page styles. Page styles are the Oo way of working with page numbering, headers, and footers.

Using landscape and portrait pages

Page Numbering
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Hena

Post by Hena »

Ok, thanks.
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
jtauxe

Re: [Solved] Rotating page with Header/Footer staying in pla

Post by jtauxe »

Ugh. None of those is a very good solution.

We need Writer to be able to do this:

- Accept a rotated (landscape) table, without moving the header and footer.
- Handle a table that needs to break across pages.
- On all pages of the table following the first, automatically add the table number, plus the text "(continued)", followed by the rest of the table caption.

I am still waiting for a word processor -- any word processor -- to do this. WorPerfect is the closest, but Word and Writer are not good at all.

Why is this so hard? It's basic Word Processing, for heaven's sake.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

jtauxe wrote:Why is this so hard? It's basic Word Processing, for heaven's sake.
Then just submit your code to the devs!
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
C-Dawg

Re: Rotating page with Header/Footer staying in pla

Post by C-Dawg »

I do have a similar question:
I do have a portrai writer document with headers.
Now i do need to insert a table that :
1. has a landscape orientation
2. leaves the headers untouched
3. breaks across several pages (at least 10)
4. always repeats the first row on every new page
5. stays in perfect quality (preferably not importing it as [several] raster graphic[s])
6. is embedded into the file (no second [e.g. calc-] file)
(7. the best would be if it would still be editable and would allow a portrait-oriented Headline above it) <-- not a must

This is roughly how it is supposed to look (sorry for having the commentary in german, but i think you are getting my point, right !?)
wantedlayout.png
Thanks a lot for trying to help....
C-Dawg
Last edited by C-Dawg on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
newby: OOo 3.2.1 Mac and WinXP
C-Dawg

Re: Rotating page with Header/Footer staying in place

Post by C-Dawg »

PS: this one is way too complicated and needs too many adjustments and i never really got it too look exactly the same as the "portrait"header (with its horizontal line underneath it and so on)!
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =71&t=1162

Is there still no better way? And do i need to put those frames on every (landscape) page using copy-paste? :crazy:
Last edited by C-Dawg on Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Insert a header and footer, then insert the frames in the header and footer, drag them to where you want them, then they will be repeated on all those pages.

Note: The flame icon is only used here to mark threads that are linked to a known issue/bug/enhancement request in the Issue tracker. Please remove it from the header of your post.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

floris v wrote:Note: The flame icon is only used here to mark threads that are linked to a known issue/bug/enhancement request in the Issue tracker. Please remove it from the header of your post.
Don't worry, the index shows only the first post icon. That's why moderators don't bother changing/removing the non-first post icons, they don't appear.

NB: I've embedded the pics in the post.
C-Dawg

Post by C-Dawg »

goede avond floris, wasn't aware of the flame-issue... SRY! Solved that one!
But i did not get your answer about the headers! When i activate headers/footers on landscape pages they are always on the longer side of the page. And if I insert the frames inside of them and rotate them, then the header will have the height of the whole (landscaped) page, won't it? Or am i getting you wrong on this... ???
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I didn't insert them in the header to begin with but copy/pasted it there. See attached sample. Insert the frame, anchor it to header or footer, insert the text, select it, Format - Character, Position tab, rotate 90 degrees, drag the whole thing to the margin, or set the position in the Frame dialog box (right click on the frame border, select Frame, Type tab, enter numbers for position etc).
Attachments
Untitled 2.odt
(27.87 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
C-Dawg

Post by C-Dawg »

Ok, now i got you! Thanks for the sample-file! This looks like a possible solution even though i can not use the usual "underline the header" function on the page-format-setting! But i might try to make it look exactly like the header on the portrait-pages (it has to be the same exact layout!)
Thank you for your help ...
btw: i wish you guys would have won the worldcup :-)
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

With the insane and uber confident behaviour of the supporters, who acted as if they already had won the world championship, and the uber aggressive style of he players, who really seemed to believe that football is war and acted on it, they didn't deserve to win. :knock:
Nederlandstalig forum
C-Dawg

[OT:] Rotating page with Header/Footer staying in place

Post by C-Dawg »

you are right about the War thing, but i was cheering for the oranjes anyway, but that perhaps because i have a good relationship to the country and the open minded people. I thing the spanish are sometimes a little arrogant ... and the dutch ain't...
But anyway, dank voor uw hulp ... and take care
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

You can add a line to the frame border, but then you have to centre the text with spaces, so that'll be tricky.
Thanks for the rest. :D
Nederlandstalig forum
jtauxe

Re: [Unsolved] Rotating page with Header/Footer staying in p

Post by jtauxe »

Solved? How is this issue solved?

The only solution posited so far is that I write the code myself. Much as I support the open source movement, I do not have the means to do this.

This issue, however, is no more solved than it was when it was first brought up. :crazy:
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

OP has marked the topic solved since this workaround is enough. If you disagree, file a bug report: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions.