Can't open a Writer created .DOC file saved on USB key

Discuss the word processor
md1946

Can't open a Writer created .DOC file saved on USB key

Post by md1946 »

Hello,

Using Open Office 2.3, I created a .DOC file which I saved on a USB key. When I try to open this file again, I get an error message : "general input/output error". If I try using MS Word, I get another error message : "document cannot be opened".

I think this has something to do with saving directly on the USB key. The same day, I worked on another .DOC file which I saved first on the hard disk and then copied to the USB key : no problem to retrieve it.

I scanned the USB key looking for a virus or a physical error : nothing.

I can open this file using WordPad, but I only get a few letters and plenty of small squares.

I do not see any backup in Open Office Writer, but may be I am not looking at the right place.

I guess it is a question of setting up correctly the file parameters or may be a missing byte at the beginning of the file.

Has someone any idea ?

Many thanks.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: Can't open a Writer created .DOC file saved on USB key

Post by AndrewZ »

It seems like the file is corrupt. That is not uncommon on removable media like USB disks. I will PM you my email address if you want me to take a look at it.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Had you unplugged the key from the UI first (and not directly removing it from the slot without telling it to the system) ? Operations are often cached so perhaps the file had not been completely written on the key when it has been removed.

Saving it first on the HD is safer, less risks to have it corrupted during the transfer to the key. And even if the transfer fails, you can try again.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

I got the file. I tried opening it with OpenOffice.org 2.3 and Microsoft Word 2003. Both indicate it is corrupt. With a binary viewing program, it does look like a Microsoft Word version 8 document. Based on the size, there may be a graphic in there? I don't see any text strings in it, so I could not do a recovery. Sorry.

My advice is the same as Hagar's. I am weary of removable storage such as floppies and USB disks, so storing the main copy on the hard drive is a great habit.
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
md1946

Post by md1946 »

Hello,

Many thanks for answering and trying to help me.

I know I should not have saved this file on a USB key, but I retrieved it from this key and, when I saved it after a lot of editing and changes, I forgot to modify the path.

To Hagar de l'Est, before I unplugged the key, I ran the "safely remove" procedure.

To AndrewZ, this is just plain text, no graphic, no picture. But strangely, the size of the file increased a good lot although I added only 1 or 2 pages : the rest of my work consisted in changing many sentences; it was rewritting actually.

If I could only retrieve the text even in a .TXT format, I would surely appreciate.

Thanks again.

Michel
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

md1946 wrote:But strangely, the size of the file increased a good lot although I added only 1 or 2 pages
That's a known bug with .doc export from OOo, you should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue) : Issue 67371 - WW8: doc files exported from OOo 2.0.3 are now 68k instead of 8k with older builds.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Voting may not be necessary. The issue is now targeted for the next release (OOo 2.4.0, due March 2008).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In fact, I don't trust the target field. I think I've seen issues retargeted afterwards. So as soon as the issue is not fixed, I keep voting.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Hagar,

You are right. There is no mention yet of specific code or it being FIXED, so I take it back. :) They have until code freeze (Jan 17 2008) to commit the code for OOo 2.4.0.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:In fact, I don't trust the target field. I think I've seen issues retargeted afterwards.
I was right indeed, here are the updates I've received about 2 issues I monitor, including this very one discussed here:

Code: Select all

To comment on the following update, log in, then open the issue:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=67371

User sj changed the following:

What    |Old value                 |New value
================================================================================
        Target milestone|OOo 2.4                   |OOo 3.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

To comment on the following update, log in, then open the issue:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=72331

User iha changed the following:

What    |Old value                 |New value
================================================================================
                 Summary|Wrong error indicator for |Wrong error indicator plac
                        |standard deviation        |ement for standard deviati
                        |                          |on
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Target milestone|OOo 2.4                   |OOo 3.0