[Solved] Problems in Writer setting date and time formats

Discuss the word processor
databell

[Solved] Problems in Writer setting date and time formats

Post by databell »

I'm new to OpenOffice and I'm trying to use Writer to create an Event Calendar for a client. So I create a table and I have one column set up for dates of events and another one for times. Problem is I want the dates to read something like Fri 4/30/12 and I type something like that in and it re formats the text to just 04/30/12 instead. Same deal with times. I went it say 8:30pm and instead it re formats to 8:30:00PM. I don't want any seconds. Just the hours and minutes. I read a lot of things about using Insert-->Fields and changing the settings there. However, that's just for insert the current time and date. I don't want that. I want a series of times and dates for the future. How can i change this? I don't see anything in the properties. I need to change this for my version on the Mac and my clients' version on the PC. Both are version 3.2.1.
Last edited by databell on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice v3.2.1 on Mac OSX
FJCC

Re: Problems in Writer setting date and time formats

Post by FJCC »

One method is to go to Tools -> Options, expand the OpenOffice.org Writer list, choose Table and turn off Number recognition.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
databell

Post by databell »

I see the Tools menu, but I don't see Options anywhere.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I forgot that on a Mac that menu is under OpenOffice.org -> Preferences.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
databell

Post by databell »

I looked throughout Preferences and there is nothing there about Tables and/or Number Recognition.
databell

Post by databell »

Found it. It was in Table-->Number Format. Boy, they don't make it easy, do they?