READ ONLY??

Creating tables and queries
bvnseven

READ ONLY??

Post by bvnseven »

this does not look like any dbf i have ever seen. why is it that when you create a table and go to add data the file is READ Only?? What do i have to do to be able to add data to my own table??
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: READ ONLY??

Post by DrewJensen »

Well, not sure from your description of the problem - but let me take a first guess.

A) Under Base in order to edit a table, using any database type, with GUI controls the table must have a primary key. No PK = READ ONLY access. ( You can update the table via SQL statements still however )
B) You connected to a dbf table and then created a form. Opened the forum for data entry and it says Read-Only on the window title bar. In this case the forum layout is locked, read-only in other words, but the data link is not. You can just start to edit or insert data, you will notice that the data navigator bar will switch on the save data button to show that it is live.

Beyond that, a little more information about what you did would be needed to help.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

A bit more information would be helpful, please review http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... ?f=5&t=166.

Are you saving this as a native Base database or are you using a text file as your data source, or a Calc database as a data source, etc.
Ron from Iowa, USA
bvnseven

Post by bvnseven »

the B choice sounds closer to what i did. i linked to a ms access table in the beginning and then created a form. the second time i deleted office, reinstalled it and then created a brand new dbf, table and form. the only real difference is that i told it i wanted to enter data immediately after creating the form and for some reason it worked. I am now worried that if I close out and go back in to the dbf can I still add, edit and delete records?
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

Yes. To make changes to the form you would need to right click on it in the Form window and choose Edit.

Unless you set the properties of the form to not allow edits, additions, etc. which doesn't sound likely.
Ron from Iowa, USA
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

LOL - well, I believe I was guilty of being imprecise in my response, so let me clear something up. I used the term dbf as a place holder only, not to be confused with an actual dBase table with a file type of dbf.

Alright - you created a standard Base database the second time around ( this is an embedded HSQLdb database by the way ).

Then yes you can close and open as you like. It is as I said. The form, when you open it by double clicking it's name, is Read-Only. The link to the data is not. You can, for example, right click on the forms name and select Edit. This opens the form, the window and controls, in edit mode - but now the data link is not live. The form will NOT have the Read-only string in the title bar at this time.

Finally - connecting to an MS Access database is possible. You might want to have a look at this page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... oft_Access
or this more general page
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MSA-Base_Faq

HTH
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
bvnseven

Post by bvnseven »

thanks folks. i think i finally got it, and i am about to install it on two laptops to save them a bunch of money in software packages. maybe i will get a nice christmas gift this year? lol, prob not....