[Solved] Using OpenOffice Spell Checker with Outlook Express

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
RLH

[Solved] Using OpenOffice Spell Checker with Outlook Express

Post by RLH »

MS Outlook Express will work with the spell checkers of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Powerpoint. Why not with the spell checker of Open Office? Or is there a way?
RL Hetch
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP + NONE
Hagar Delest

Re: Using OpenOffice Spell Checker with Outlook Express

Post by Hagar Delest »

RLH wrote:MS Outlook Express will work with the spell checkers of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Powerpoint. Why not with the spell checker of Open Office?
Because MS products are designed to work with MS products and not with anything else.
RLH wrote:Or is there a way?
See section 5 here: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RLH

Post by RLH »

Hagar wrote that MS products only work with MS products. Not true. Open office Writer, Calc etc. can be used by MS Word, Excel etc. so again is there a way for Open Office spell checker to be used with MS Outlook express?
Hetch
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open office Writer, Calc etc. can be used by MS Word, Excel etc
Really? Tell me more.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RLH wrote:so again is there a way for Open Office spell checker to be used with MS Outlook express?
Imagine that the customer is the application who wants the spell check. As there are many applications on your machine, there are many customers.
The supplier is the one who provides the spell checking service.
I guess that it's the customer who asks the supplier for such a service. The supplier can't know which customer will ask for its service.

Here, customer = Outlook Express and supplier = OOo spell checking (or even its material, i.e. the dictionary files).

So please ask OE support when they'll implement the OOo (Hunspell IIRC) spell checking! Firefox and Thunderbird do that (under GNU/Linux, I just need links to the dictionary files, no need to copy them).

NB: I'm rather interested in the OE support team answer. Feel free to post it here.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RLH

Post by RLH »

Villeroy wrote:
Open office Writer, Calc etc. can be used by MS Word, Excel etc
Really? Tell me more.
Sorry, I was wrong about ms office and open office being otherwise compatible. I've gone back to ms office and forgeting about open office as all my previous doucuments are created with ms office.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Using OpenOffice Spell Checker with Outlook Express

Post by TheGurkha »

I think confusion has crept in here.

OpenOffice.org can read and write Microsoft .doc and .xls and ppt files. Microsoft Office cannot read OOo native file formats though (.odt and .ods). So you can edit your old documents, that's not a problem.

Expecting a Microsoft application to use a non-Microsoft or non-Microsoft approved & sanctioned component like a spell checker won't work. That's the old issue of the round peg and the square hole.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust