[Solved] OOo 3.0 Beta 2 dictionaries management

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
skip

Re: OOo 3.0 Beta 2 dictionaries management

Post by skip »

Hagar, same problem here on my Vista machine, no dictionary has been imported. Tried using the extension update, but that didn't work either. Sure want to test, because it looks like you all have really done a great job at improving the product. I'll try it again if there is a Beta 3 version.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Don't you have found the files in the locations mentioned above (see also the screenshots)?
What are the differences with what has been described here?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For those who are interested, I got that link from the mailing list: wiki page on Extension Dictionaries.

I had forgotten about the linguistic.xcu file that is still here (in your OOo user profile ~/.ooo-dev3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office). But the strange thing is that if I edit it to remove the en-ZA entry, at the next start, it's rebuild and I still get the English (South Africa) spell checker!

Have browsed all the folders in the installation folder and no clue at all where it could be.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've eventually found the configuration file that seems to be installed by default with the Beta 2. There is a linguistic.xcu file in /opt/ooo-dev3/share/uno_packages/cache/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.configuration.PackageRegistryBackend/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office. Once renamed/deleted, the dictionaries list is correct.

Edit (after RC1 installation):
I noticed that there is also a linguistic.xcu file in the user profile:
/home/<username>/.openoffice.org/3/user/uno_packages/cache/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.configuration.PackageRegistryBackend/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office
that is used by OOo to rebuild at each time the linguistic.xcu file in
/home/<username>/.openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office.

So I think I've eventually got it:
- Extension includes the dictionaries.xcu file that tells OOo what are the files and the locales
- The extension is installed in .../uno_packages/cache/uno_packages (either .../share/... in main installation folder or .../user/... in user profile
- Meanwhile (at extension install), a linguistic.xcu file is created in .../uno_packages/cache/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.configuration.PackageRegistryBackend/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office
- At each OOo start up, the linguistic.xcu in user profile /home/<username>/.openoffice.org/3/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office is rebuild according to the other linguistic.xcu created above.

Edit (after that post on the mailing list): it seems that we can directly edit the dictionary.xcu file in the extension folder but you've to disable the extension first!
tonycowan

Re: [Solved] OOo 3.0 Beta 2 dictionaries management

Post by tonycowan »

Hi Folks,

I don't know why this is happening, however I suspect there's some sort of file permissions issue going on here.
I ran soffice as root and it found the dictionaries (note that I have not copied anything from 2.4.x, so mine is an out of the box v3.2b)
I chowned the files under /opt/openoffice.org3 to be owned (and grouped) by me.
I ran soffice as me and it didn't find the dictionaries.
I deleted ~/.openoffice.org3
I reran soffice and after moving past the registration screens, it found the dictionaries.

So, something about being able to write to some directory in the /opt/openoffice.org3 directory tree during the initial configuration phase ... who knows ...

Cheers,
tc.
OOo 3.0.X on Linux-Other
burog25c

Post by burog25c »

so has anyone figured out this little problem? i'm using Vista, and so far nothing mentioned has worked so that my spell checker will actually use a dictionary. it looks to me like the idea of dictionary as extension so far is a big flop. i've tried all the steps i could find and so far nothing works. very aggravating since beta 1 was such a great piece of software to me. :D
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
ziesemer

Post by ziesemer »

See also: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 849#p41849 .

It appears that the English extension installed with 3.0 beta 2 is just missing 2 en_US files that need to be added.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
pitonyak
Volunteer

Post by pitonyak »

I just wanted to mention that I had a similar problem. I installed RC1 on FC9, and I do not appear to have en_US available for spell check...

First, I went to /opt and then I did a search such as "find . | grep dict-en.oxt" and I found a few interesting files.

I looked in /opt/openoffice.org3/share/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/za2jX9_/dict-en.oxt for files containing en_US. I found two files

th_en_US_v2.dat
th_en_US_v2.idx

Next, I looked at a dev build in /opt/ooo-dev3/share/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/Bo3dC6_/dict-en.oxt. I found a few more files.

en_US.aff
en_US.dic
README_en_US.txt
th_en_US_v2.dat
th_en_US_v2.idx

If I copy the missing files, then everything works. The file description.xml differed. I looked at the differences and noticed:

[root@andrew opt]# diff ./openoffice.org3/.../description.xml ./ooo-dev3/.../description.xml
4c4
< <identifier value="org.openoffice.en.hunspell.dictionaries" />
---
> <identifier value="org.openoffice.en.hunspell.dictionary" />
6c6
< <name lang="en">English spelling and hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus</name>
---
> <name lang="en">Spelling and hyphenation dictionary for English</name>

Interesting. Now that I think about it, during the install using "rpm -i *.rpm", it stated that hunspell was already installed, but it did not generate an error.
Andrew Pitonyak
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
LO and AOO on Fedora
acknak

Post by acknak »

Just for the record, I had no problem installing rc1 on F9.

I've been installing the snapshots right along, but I don't upgrade: I "rpm -e" all of the installed snapshot packages, then "rpm -i" all the new packages. I did the same with rc1 and it seems fine, as far as English spelling anyway.

I always install the OOo.org packages in a custom location, using an rpm command like this:
# rpm -ivh --prefix=/extra/opt/OO300_m5 *.rpm

Then I make a symlink in /opt that points to the latest install.

I have noticed that the uninstall ("rpm -e") for the OOo3 snapshots leaves some files behind, including (now that I look at it) a bunch of dictionary files. Since I always install in a fresh location, the leftover files don't mix in with the new ones.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23