[Solved] OOo 3.0.0 Beta dictionary files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
wastefulness

[Solved] OOo 3.0.0 Beta dictionary files

Post by wastefulness »

Can anyone tell me where the dictionary files are to be found in OOo 3.0.0. Beta? These were once found in .../share/ooo but this now doesn't exist.
Specifically I wish to install the 8daysaweek thesaurus.
Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as solved.
OOo-dev; Win XP; Firefox, Thunderbird
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Caracalla
Volunteer

Re: OOo 3.0.0 Beta dictionary files

Post by Caracalla »

In OOo 3 dictionaries are now installed in the form of extensions, this makes it easier to add and remove them through the UI. If you don't want to wait untill the 8daysaweek people package their thesaurus as an extension i guess you could look in this folder "OOo-dev 3\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\14E.tmp_\dict-en.oxt " That's where all the dictionary files for the EN dictionary seem to have gone. You might be able to just replace the default file with the 8daysaweek one.

EDIT:
scratch that perhaps. There's more dictionary files in the following folder. "\OOo-dev\Basis 3.0\share\dict\ooo" i guess that's the folder OOo reads from? Or is it a remnant from the 2.x days that will be removed? I don't know. I do know that they still have the crazy language selection. Honestly, how many users need Lithuanian?

EDIT2: I did an edit of the en_GB.dic file in both folders. The edit in the dict\ooo folder seems to have had no effect, while the one in the dict-en.oxt folder did. It looks to me as if the dic files in the new folder take precedence over the old folder, which serves as a fallback option.
Keep in mind, i am only guessing here.

EDIT3: It seems the -dev version cheats a bit. Even with everything deleted from the /ooo the dictionaries that had been in there still worked. I can only conclude it is using the dictionaries of my 2.4.1 installation.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
wastefulness

Post by wastefulness »

Hi Caracalla
I've no problem with OOo-DEV 3, what I'm asking is in relation to the OOo 3 Beta (i.e. BEB300).
I'll keep scratching. :D
Thanks.
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

Hm, the beta is what i'm talking about. For more information on the dictionaries as extensions and th new installation structure see here.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
please vote

wastefulness

Post by wastefulness »

Yes I see that now. It was just that your references were to OOo-DEV folders, however I'm now working through the Openoffice.org folders that the beta build creates.
Thanks.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Caracalla wrote:There's more dictionary files in the following folder. "\OOo-dev\Basis 3.0\share\dict\ooo" i guess that's the folder OOo reads from? Or is it a remnant from the 2.x days that will be removed? I don't know.
Yes, it has been kept for the transition phase (during beta phase only). Will be removed in final 3.0.
Caracalla wrote:I did an edit of the en_GB.dic file in both folders. The edit in the dict\ooo folder seems to have had no effect, while the one in the dict-en.oxt folder did. It looks to me as if the dic files in the new folder take precedence over the old folder, which serves as a fallback option.
Right. The extension is being checked at first and the /dict/ooo one if nothing found.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
wastefulness

Post by wastefulness »

Having made appropriate backup files, I've substituted the th_en_US_v2. thesaurus files (.dat and .idx) with the 8daysaweek files and renamed to th_en_US_v2 in .../uno_packages/cache/xx.tmp_/dict-en.oxt

Seems to be working fine. Thanks for your pointers, Caracalla
francois_c

Re: [Solved] OOo 3.0.0 Beta dictionary files

Post by francois_c »

I don't find a /opt/ooo-dev/basis3.0/share/dict/ooo folder in th m300 m29 for Linux I have just installed. But I created one, and I can use my own dictionaries too (I need a Latin one).
OpenOffice spell checking needed to be improved, for it was an incredible mess, but I'm afraid of loosing some of my favourite dictionaries:
I need a Latin one, and the best is la_VA, downloadable here: http://www.drouizig.org/Galleg/Divers/d ... hogra.html (a rather strange site in old French Briton language).
One of the reasons why I use OpenOffice was that it gave me a free Latin spell checker (la_LA). But, if you look to this site you'll notice that the spell checker for MS Office is better, and maybe that the authors will not be able to convert their spell checker to the new format when OpenOffice 3 is released?
I see that dictionaries of some incredible patois are maintained. Can we hope to have one in Latin?
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

francois_c wrote:I don't find a /opt/ooo-dev/basis3.0/share/dict/ooo folder in th m300 m29 for Linux I have just installed. But I created one, and I can use my own dictionaries too (I need a Latin one).
OpenOffice spell checking needed to be improved, for it was an incredible mess, but I'm afraid of loosing some of my favourite dictionaries:
I need a Latin one, and the best is la_VA, downloadable here: http://www.drouizig.org/Galleg/Divers/d ... hogra.html (a rather strange site in old French Briton language).
One of the reasons why I use OpenOffice was that it gave me a free Latin spell checker (la_LA). But, if you look to this site you'll notice that the spell checker for MS Office is better, and maybe that the authors will not be able to convert their spell checker to the new format when OpenOffice 3 is released?
I see that dictionaries of some incredible patois are maintained. Can we hope to have one in Latin?
The format of the dictionaries has not changed, only the method of installation. I was able to take the dutch spell check files from 2.4, put them in the form of an extension and install them. Whether or not your latin dictionaries will be available as extension is up to the creators i guess. But you can always use their files to make an extension of your own.
please vote

RGB

Post by RGB »

Caracalla wrote:I was able to take the dutch spell check files from 2.4, put them in the form of an extension and install them.
How did you do that? The Spanish dictionary that comes with beta 2 has some problems, like the English one.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

RGB wrote:
Caracalla wrote:I was able to take the dutch spell check files from 2.4, put them in the form of an extension and install them.
How did you do that? The Spanish dictionary that comes with beta 2 has some problems, like the English one.
I basically took the english extension aand replaced the English dictionary files with the Dutch ones. See here for a description.
Last edited by Caracalla on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
please vote

RGB

Post by RGB »

Thanks! Perhaps I should have thought about that by myself... :oops:
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Bassianus

Post by Bassianus »

The Latin dictionary has now been ported to OO.org 3.0.
cf. http://www.drouizig.org/Saozneg/Misc/mi ... ecker.html
Cheers.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + xp
francois_c

Post by francois_c »

Thank you so much for your fast reaction: this la_VA dictionary is much better than the standard OOo Latin dictionary, and I'm really glad to find it as an .oxt extension!
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows
pieter

Post by pieter »

Here you can see how to make your own oxt-file of your .dic http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... p=364#p364. I hope it helps. I was glad to find it!
Pieter
OOo 3.0.X on OTHER