Still crashing after resetting user profile

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
marcerasmus

Still crashing after resetting user profile

Post by marcerasmus »

i have reset my user profile a few times now but open office though it will be stable for a day or so... still keeps crashing, does anybody know of a fix for this problem that lasts longer than a few days please?
regards marc
marcerasmus
open office 3.3,
win 7 64 bit,
Hagar Delest

Re: Still crashing after resetting user profile

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, it's a rather difficult problem. Have you a lot of extensions? Do you heavily customize OOo?
Do you still use OOo 3.3 as shown in your signature or have you upgraded to AOO 3.4.0?

Do you use Comodo as antivirus?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Still crashing after resetting user profile

Post by Villeroy »

-- Uninstall the old version and run one of these Windows clean-up tools. I don't know any but the one named "CCleaner" seems to deserve some reputation from this forum.

-- Download the original software package without bundled Java from its openoffice.org domain. If you want the legacy version, that is: http://www.openoffice.org/download/legacy/index.html

-- http://www.openoffice.org/download/lega ... d5sums.txt is a list of the md5 hashes for each downloadable file. Find some Windows tool to check md5 sums, run it against the downloaded file and compare the result with the corresponding list entry. This ensures that the full package has been downloaded completely and free of errors.
[Linux and Mac come with a md5sum command]
For the legacy Windows build without Java that is:
b397b639ba60dc983e58590ab055f3fb OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe

-- Cut off your internet connection and kill any running antivirus software.

-- Rename any old user profiles

-- Run the setup.exe with "custom install" option. Make sure that all the main components (Calc, Writer, Base, Impress, Draw, Math) are selected. Personally, I prefer to deselect only the nasty "quick-starter" which can be one of those useless trouble makers.

-- Restart your Windows box with anti virus, internet and everything.

P.S.: For our business boxes (Win7, 32 bit) I download the latest file, check the md5sum and run the setup.exe on each machine. But that is a professionally administrated domain with a demilitarized zone. I run office upgrades when our admin is in house since Windows is totally over my head.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice