Often get Error Report dialogue when starting switer.exe

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Often get Error Report dialogue when starting switer.exe

Post by John_Ha »

When starting swriter.exe from its shortcut on the Windows 7 Taskbar I often - about half of the time - get an Error Report dialogue where I am invited to send the error report to OpenOffice. I usually do so. I cannot think of anything previously which caould have caused it - the previously used file closed and saved properly. I do not know if it is relevant, but I mainly use OOo for created a magazine where a Master .odm document calls about 20 or 30 .odt files, one .odt file per section of the magazine. I mainly open the .odt files by double clicking on them in the Navigator list in the Master document.

A typical error report is as below. This only started happenning recently - as a guess, I would say about 4 to 8 weeks ago. Before that, it did happen, but very rarely.

I wondered if it was because of some old .~lock.filename files left around (these are the files created when OOo opens a file) but I searched and there are none.

OpenOffice 3.3.0 OOO330m20 Build 9567, Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit, Intel dual core

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE errormail:errormail PUBLIC "-//OpenOffice.org//DTD ErrorMail 1.0//EN" "errormail.dtd">
<errormail:errormail xmlns:errormail="http://openoffice.org/2002/errormail" usertype="">
<reportmail:mail xmlns:reportmail="http://openoffice.org/2002/reportmail" version="1.1" feedback="true" email="myname@example.com">
<reportmail:title></reportmail:title>
<reportmail:attachment name="description.txt" media-type="text/plain;charset=UTF-8" class="UserComment"/>
<reportmail:attachment name="user.dmp" media-type="application/octet-stream" class="UserDump"/>
</reportmail:mail>
<officeinfo:officeinfo xmlns:officeinfo="http://openoffice.org/2002/officeinfo" build="330m20(Build:9567)" platform="wntmsci12.pro" language="" procpath="C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\" exceptiontype="0xC0000005" product="OpenOffice.org 3.3"/>
<systeminfo:systeminfo xmlns:systeminfo="http://openoffice.org/2002/systeminfo">
<systeminfo:System name="Windows NT" version="6.1" build="7601" locale="0x00000809"/>
<systeminfo:CPU type="x86"/>
</systeminfo:systeminfo>
<errormail:Stack type="Win32">
<errormail:StackInfo pos="0" ip="0x6D3342A8" rel="0x000042A8" name="updchk.uno.dll" path="C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\"/>
</errormail:Stack>
<errormail:Checksums type="MD5">
<errormail:Checksum sum="0x798312CE1BB0FEFE0989518EE8DCA6DB" bytes="174080" file="updchk.uno.dll"/>
</errormail:Checksums>
</errormail:errormail>
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Re: Often get Error Report dialogue when starting switer.exe

Post by RoryOF »

If, on the closing of files before your error report instance, you shut down your computer, I suggest you slow down the process. Close your files in OpenOffice, then leave the computer some minutes to flush its buffers before powering it off or hibernating it. Often such messages and sometimes file corruption occurs from "rushing" the shut down process. The minute you need can be occupied in putting your papers into your briefcase and tidying your desk.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I notice the file="updchk.uno.dll" in the report. Try turning off the online update.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

Thanks. I tried as you suggested but it made no difference.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Bill - thanks.
Bill wrote:I notice the file="updchk.uno.dll" in the report. Try turning off the online update.
Very intetresting! I went Help > Check for updates and it failed with error message "Could not establish network connection to update36.services.openoffice.org". I can ping update36.services.openoffice.org OK, so I am connected to the internet OK, and the site server seems to be working, but I cannot visit the site with my browser.

Googling 0xC0000005shows it to be a memory error and one example quoted is

"Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages. "

I will do some more digging.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do as Bill suggests - turn off the update check in OpenOffice. A recent Windows 7 update which installed IE9 caused instability in OpenOffice and turning off the OOo update check seems to cure this; an alternate cure is to uninstall IE9 (IE8 is automatically reinstalled). The update service was never reliable; it is better to keep an eye on the forum where availability of later versions will be announced (informally) when they become available. Current version of OOo is 3.3, and release version of OOo 3.4 is not expected before early next year, as the code is in migration from Oracle to Apache.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

Thanks. I will turn off the automatic update as you suggest.

Meanwhile something seems to have changed but I don't know why as I did nothing. Whereas previously I waited for many seconds before getting "Could not establish network connection to update36.services.openoffice.org" I now get an immediate response and get the different message "Checking for an update failed." which I also get when I test my wife's laptop.

Unfortunately I still get the problem after the changed message. I am beginning to convince myself that the problem happens less often if I immediately re-start OOo after closing it; and more common if I wait for one or two minutes before re-starting OOo

I will post later to report whether switching off updates stops the problem.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may also need to install a 32 bit Java to get all functionality of OpenOffice; at present there is not a 64 bit version of OOo available so it needs 32 bit J
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I have turner off automatic updates as suggested but the problem still occurs.

I have tried to re-install OOo to see whether that fixes the problem but I have now run into problems with re-installing it! I will submit a new post about it.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

See also posting
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 68#p204889
for further discussion.