14-page document suddenly an empty file

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
madmonkette

14-page document suddenly an empty file

Post by madmonkette »

Hi everyone!

Last night I saved an .odt file I had been working on for about a week or so. I can't remember the exact file size but it was 14 pages long. Upon trying to open it again this afternoon, the attached dialogue appeared. I was a bit confused but in the end just pressed "OK". OO.o opened but all I got was an empty page. Then I checked the file size and it said 0 Byte. Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not it was already 0 before I tried to open it. What confuses me even more is that, while working on the file, my computer didn't crash or anything. I saved and closed OO.o as usual. My system froze later that night but without the file open or even the programme running. I checked the backup and the temp folder but there's nothing there, I'm really at a loss here.
So, I've pretty much abandoned hope of recovering this file but if anyone had any idea, I'd be grateful if they shared :(
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto.png
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04
MrProgrammer

Re: 14-page document suddenly an empty file

Post by MrProgrammer »

Sounds similar to 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs. See comments in that topic, especially those on 14-15 Feb 2010.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There have been reported problems with Ubuntu using ext4 file system, due to delayed writes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Check also the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

Else, nothing to do I fear.

NB: if you don't get the hashes, I don't think it's linked to the thread linked above. The 0 byte file size is rather different.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
madmonkette

Post by madmonkette »

Thanks a bunch for your help, guys. As Hagar de l'Est pointed out, the problem's not similar to the one where the doc's filled with hashes. Checked the tmp folder, found a .tmp one with a file of the same name in it. Alas, the file size is again 0 Bytes and the (renamed) document is empty. I guess that's that, huh? ;) Thanks again!
Any idea as to why that even happened?
OpenOffice 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04