OpenOffice.org can't find printers

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Qmulus

OpenOffice.org can't find printers

Post by Qmulus »

Since upgrading to Open Office 3, Open Office can no longer find my network printers. All of my other programs see the various printers, but when I go to Printer Settings, I get a "No default printer found." message which takes me to the Printer Setup popup, which shows no printers. The only way I can print my documents is to export as .pdf and then print from Adobe Reader. Ideas?
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows XP Pro V.2002 SP3
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice can't find printers

Post by RoryOF »

All OOo 3.x versions have always found my network printers, one shared on the server, one with a network address of its own. Was your OOo installed for use of everybody on your computer?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Qmulus

Re: OpenOffice.org can't find printers

Post by Qmulus »

Yes, in fact I just wiped my old installation, and did a clean installation from a new download. Same thing. Very odd. I searched and didn't turn up any other reports of this issue, so I am assuming that there must something odd in my setup, but I don't know where to look...
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows XP Pro V.2002 SP3
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is probably a permissions problem. You may need to do some investigating with low level tools, such as from www.sysinternals.com. Before doing that, try deleting and reinstalling your printer, or just installing a second instance of it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
frugalfly

Post by frugalfly »

I'm having this same problem. I'm on a new imac with os 10.6.5. I allowed sharing of the printer in my system preferences. This program is useless if I can't print from it!
OOo 3.2.1 on an imac with OS 10.6.5
frugalfly

Post by frugalfly »

I'm not sure what I did, but I finally got it working. I re-installed my printer and re-set my sharing preferences. ANyway, it was probably my prayers more than anything!
OOo 3.2.1 on an imac with OS 10.6.5