[Solved] Move Menu Bar and remove Scroll Bars - Possible?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Old Faithful

[Solved] Move Menu Bar and remove Scroll Bars - Possible?

Post by Old Faithful »

Hello,

I am a new user coming from Office 2000. I have been using MS Word since 1993, and after years of use and millions of words written, I have set it up to work in full page print preview mode, in other words, I work on a full page as a matter of course.

In Word 2000 and 97, I am able to move all tool bars on the left so that the full page fills the screen and is actually legible. I have moved a few toolbars in OO, but am unable to move the menu bar and the scroll bars, significantly reducing the usability of working in true, full-page, WYSIWYG mode.

I have made a search here for a way to get these basic functionalities in OO, but without success.

I would be grateful if someone could let me know whether I have high hopes and it is basically impossible, in which case I won't waste any more of my time and yours, or whether it is hidden in some obscure setting in some registry entry or INI file.

Thank you for your help and understanding!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.21
RoryOF

Re: Move Menu Bar and remove Scroll Bars - is it possible?

Post by RoryOF »

I don't know, but there may be another solution. If you are using Nvidia graphics, as far as I remember they will allow you to rotate your display, and you can then rotate the fashionable wide displays to obtain a Portrait screen, ideal for document preparation.
 Edit: Later: I don't think it is possible to move all of the toolbars, but some are moveable. See
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... _interface
for more info. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Carnaby Crimson

Post by Carnaby Crimson »

Yes, in answer to your title question, it is completely possible to hide the menu bar (this is best done by having a hide/show button) and easy to remove the scrollbars.

The scrollbars:
Open say writer and on the menubar navigate to Tools>Options.
Then (as I only have swriter installed, I cannot vouch for the others) go into each programs options and the view e.g. OpenOffice.org Writer>View.
Then on the right hand side in the window, under a column again titled "View", are tick boxes to enable/disable the scrollbars.

The menu bar:
This requires you to create a macro. Don't worry, you don't even need to find out what one is.
Navigate to Tools>Macros>Organise Macros> OpenOffice.org Basic...
In the left window (Macros from) click My Macros>Standard.
Then on the far right click "New"
It should open a code entry page. If it automatically enters "Sub" and "End Sub" delete these lines and simply past this:

Code: Select all

Sub HideMenuBar
 layout = Thiscomponent.CurrentController.Frame.LayoutManager
 layout.hideElement("private:resource/menubar/menubar")
End Sub

Sub ShowMenuBar
 layout = Thiscomponent.CurrentController.Frame.LayoutManager
 layout.showElement("private:resource/menubar/menubar")
End Sub
Then Tools>Customise.
In the drop down box titled "Toolbar" select the toolbar you wish to attach the buttons to.
Click "Add..." on the right.
Then go to the bottom of the window on the left and OpenOffice.org Macros>My Macros>Standard>Module1.
Then click "Add" for the hide button and "Add" again for the show button (obviously there should be two macros, if not add them as new macros separately).
Then highlight one and on the right click Modify>Change Icon.
Choose a suitable icon and be sure to do this for both (if you scroll down to one page from last roughly in the middle, there should be two grey triangles pointing, respectively, up and down that serve well).

Just another thing whilst in Tools>Customise;
besides the drop down menu for selecting the toolbar to edit, below a button reading "New", is another drop down menu titled "Toolbar". In here you can choose wether the menu's show icons or text or text and icons.

Here's a screenshot of my OpenOffice.org Writer:

(The "Hide Menu Bar" buttons are in the bottom left)
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Iy ... directlink
Screenshot.png
Here's what it looks like when I've pressed the "Hide Menu Bar" Button:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/X1 ... directlink
Screenshot-1.png
Hope you're still around :)

Carnaby
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pics embedded.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Ubuntu 10.10
Elevens

Post by Elevens »

Is it possible to move the menubar to the very bottom of the page?
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows XP SP 3
BrianSimon

Post by BrianSimon »

Carnaby Crimson
Thank you!
:bravo:
your content is still relevant (September 2015).
I did all this exactly as you said and I then became an AOO member just to express my gratitude!
FYI: after concocting the macros, I repeated the remaining process in Draw etcetera and now I've got Grey Arrow Icons all over the place; makes for a cleaner view and I'm confident I can show the menu if I get into trouble.

My thanks again to you, Carnaby, and, of course, all the good people of AOO!
I think I'll go learn how to make a macro that gets me a cuppa... I want one now!
;)
Brian
OpenOffice 4.1.1 XFCE Linux x86 64