[Solved] Open, Save, and Save As dialogs open slowly

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
wpost

[Solved] Open, Save, and Save As dialogs open slowly

Post by wpost »

A user new to OpenOffice.org reports that the Open, Save, and Save As dialogs have become very slow to open – nearly a minute.

When I originally installed OOo 3.2.1 on her computer (Windows 7 Home Basic, x32), the dialogs opened normally and quickly. At some point they became extremely slow to open, taking approximately 55 seconds. Once open, the dialogs operate normally and at normal speed, so that (for example) the actual saving or opening of a file takes no longer than normal. What is delayed is the opening of the relevant dialog.

This behavior is observed in all OOo components: Writer, Calc, et al. No other application on the computer exhibits this behavior, only OOo.

She is unable to associate the new behavior with any modification to OOo or to her computer. Trying to track down the cause, I checked the logs of her antivirus, spyware scanner, and Windows Update but found nothing suspicious in the relevant timeframe. I checked OOo's paths and they appear correct (e.g., My Documents is set to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents).

Prior to asking for help here I searched the web and this forum for “OpenOffice Open, Save, and Save As dialogs open slowly” but found nothing relevant.

Any thoughts on what I might try to help this user?
Last edited by wpost on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.2.1/Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Open, Save, and Save As dialogs open slowly

Post by RoryOF »

You might consider this thread
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=33072
and the threads linked from it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wpost

Re: [Solved] Open, Save, and Save As dialogs open slowly

Post by wpost »

Thank you; the thread you provided plus the ones it led to inspired me to temporally change the My Documents path to something else, close and reopen OOo, and reset My Documents to the default path again. Now it works; many thanks.
OOo 3.2.1/Windows 7
wpost

Re: [Solved] Open, Save, and Save As dialogs open slowly

Post by wpost »

Update - The "solution" I reported above turned out to be only temporary; the problem would return after a few days. In Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org - General - Open/Save Dialogs, I selected "Use OpenOffice.org dialogs"; this fixed the problem permanently.
OOo 3.2.1/Windows 7