My document has been turned into pound symbols.

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ruuthiepoo

My document has been turned into pound symbols.

Post by ruuthiepoo »

Fanfiction.net has recommended this software, and actually give users a link to download it. I was very pleased with it.

Well, I was writing one of the chapters of my fanfiction, and my laptop overheated. When I turned it on again, I was expecting it to allow me to recover my odt document, which is what usually happens. But, instead, I receive the ASCII Filter Options. It says that the file is locked for editing by unknown user (me). Even when I try and open the Read-Only file, and try in different languages and format combinations, I can only view pound symbols instead of the letters.

I know there are several other questions in relation to this but the advice just doesn't seem to work. For example, I checked the backup files that Open Office saved. However, I found only one file, which was not the right one. Does this mean my file is completely gone? Or is there something else I need to do?

Please help.
Last edited by ruuthiepoo on Sat May 15, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office Version 3.2 . Windows XP .
Hagar Delest

Re: My document has been turned into pound symbols.

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Why did your laptop overheat? Was it standing on a soft surface (bed, sofa, your lap)? Such surfaces often cover the ventilation holes, causing overheating.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ruuthiepoo

Post by ruuthiepoo »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Sorry, nothing to be done: 22 page term paper replaced with pound signs.
I have looked at that already. Do you think that although it was an overheat, the windows memory dump may have the file?
RoryOF wrote:Why did your laptop overheat? Was it standing on a soft surface (bed, sofa, your lap)? Such surfaces often cover the ventilation holes, causing overheating.
My laptop has been overheating for a long time. I've been meaning to buy a cooler or something. But, no, it was on my desk - as it is now - the half of it which overheats over the edge for ventilation. Sometimes it overheats even in this position, but it usually doesn't.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

ruuthiepoo wrote:Do you think that although it was an overheat, the windows memory dump may have the file?
Even if there are temporary files remaining, I don't know how they can be used "manually".
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
ruuthiepoo

Post by ruuthiepoo »

Oh well. I suppose that trying to recover it is more trouble than it is worth. I'll just rewrite it and be glad that I didn't write too much. To prevent this from happening again, I suppose I'll save in more than one location. Thank you for your help, Hagar and Rory.