Turning off Java - Consequences?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
sternfan

Turning off Java - Consequences?

Post by sternfan »

Hi all,

I have been using OO for years, but am now testing it to see if we can use it at work. We have a variety of MS boxes - either 2000pro or XP. Average hardware is roughly 1.8ghz CPU with 512mb ram (some better, some worse). The majority are using Office 2000 - a handful are using Office 2003.

In my testing, the one thing that really pops out is the startup time. When I tinker with the memory settings (there are a number of articles on this on the net) there are some improvement, but the really big improvement is when I disable Java.

So - the big question - If I roll out OpenOffice with Java disabled, what will the users miss? The vast majority of our users will basically only be using Writer and Calc. None of them will be using Base (our DBs have web frontends - no need). A handful of users will use Impress.

Any comments appreciated,
Rob
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Turning off Java - Consequences?

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ccornell
Volunteer

Re: Turning off Java - Consequences?

Post by ccornell »

Another resource for this question is http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Java The statement there is
If you do not require database tables or accessibility integration or some wizards, then you do not need to download and install Java.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3