[Solved] Spell check (English Australian) doesn't work

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Petra

Post by Petra »

Thanks Hagar, spelling and grammar is ticked (blue tick), autospellcheck is ticked and red underlined and language set to English(Australian). I've also tried to check the spelling manually but seems not to work. I down loaded the free version of Open Office about a month ago. Or do I need to pay money before it will work? Do I have the right version of OO0?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: Spell check (English Australian) doesn't work

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:For any issue related to this tutorial, please create a new thread detailing what is your issue and what has not worked from the advices given here.
I've split the thread from the tutorial.

OOo is free. No need to pay anything. Have you downloaded it from the OOo web site? See link at bottom of page. Do you see the blue checkmark in front of the English (Australian) entry in the languages lists?

See that one perhaps: [Solved] Odd Spell Check Disaster after update.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Friday, February 27, 2009

I have seen this topic before--on oooforum.org, I think. I remember creating a Australian default template which may have solved the issue.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Petra

Post by Petra »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
Hagar de l'Est wrote:For any issue related to this tutorial, please create a new thread detailing what is your issue and what has not worked from the advices given here.
I've split the thread from the tutorial.

OOo is free. No need to pay anything. Have you downloaded it from the OOo web site? See link at bottom of page. Do you see the blue checkmark in front of the English (Australian) entry in the languages lists?

See that one perhaps: [Solved] Odd Spell Check Disaster after update.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Yes, i've downloaded it from OO0 web site. The only blue checkmark I see is on the toolbar, just below Tools. There is ABC box with blue tick underneath and next to it is ABC box red underlined. My version is 2.3.x Is this ok? Also when I manually do spell check, I click on Tools + Spelling & Grammar. I get a small box saying spellcheck is complete. This small box is inside a larger box that says, Spelling (none), Text language, blank.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Then your dictionary is not installed. Since you're running a 2.x version, it can't be installed by extensions, you've to follow the guide and the sections for the 2.x version.
Petra

Post by Petra »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Then your dictionary is not installed. Since you're running a 2.x version, it can't be installed by extensions, you've to follow the guide and the sections for the 2.x version.
I updated Open Office and the reply was that Open Office.org 3.0 is up to date. Does this mean that I am running 3.0 version? I installed English (Australia) dictionary by going to Tools, Options, Writing Aids, User - defined dictionaries and added English (Australia). I then restarted my comp, started a new Open Office document but still does not do spellcheck.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

March 01 2009
I updated Open Office and the reply was that Open Office.org 3.0 is up to date. Does this mean that I am running 3.0 version? I installed English (Australia) dictionary by going to Tools, Options, Writing Aids, User - defined dictionaries and added English (Australia). I then restarted my comp, started a new Open Office document but still does not do spellcheck.
One installs a dictionary in 3.0.x using the Extension Manager. Open the Extension Manager and find out if the Australian English is installed. If not download and install it from here.

http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... Dictionary

Once installed you will also need to create or make sure you have a default template which will automatically use Australian English.

Phil
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You were talking about 2.x, your profile shows 2.3 and you're talking about 3.0 now. Please read the tutorial for either the 3.x or the 2.x and tell us what you've done, what you see and what fails.
Petra

Post by Petra »

It works! Thanks heaps Phil. I have stopped pulling my hair out and was able to spell check a 10 page document without any trouble. My next question is I've now also downloaded and installed a Dutch dictionary. Do I need to create a default template as before? I work mainly in english but occasionally I also work in the Dutch language and would like to be able to select Dutch spelling check. How do I do that? Cheers, Petra
PGAGA wrote:March 01 2009
One installs a dictionary in 3.0.x using the Extension Manager. Open the Extension Manager and find out if the Australian English is installed. If not download and install it from here.

http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... Dictionary

Once installed you will also need to create or make sure you have a default template which will automatically use Australian English.

Phil
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Monday 02 March 2009
Petra wrote:It works! Thanks heaps Phil. I have stopped pulling my hair out and was able to spell check a 10 page document without any trouble. My next question is I've now also downloaded and installed a Dutch dictionary. Do I need to create a default template as before? I work mainly in english but occasionally I also work in the Dutch language and would like to be able to select Dutch spelling check. How do I do that? Cheers, Petra
Depends on what you are doing. I often have to produce a document in English and French. My default template has Canadian English for default, but the same template has a default2 style which is Canadian French. I switch between the two styles as needed. If you are working exclusively in Dutch then create a Dutch defined template for those occasions.

Phil