[Solved] Convert .xlr files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Tycho Huijts

[Solved] Convert .xlr files

Post by Tycho Huijts »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
I am very enthousiastic about OpenOffice. I use version 3. I am going to buy a new pc and planning not to use Word and Works anymore. At the moment I do not have MS Office but MS Works. The spreadsheet files have the .xlr extension. How do I convert these to OpenOffice?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Phil
Volunteer

Re: convert .xlr files

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the community!

Works files cannot be opened directly in OpenOffice. There are online converters for the .wps files (see this thread), but not for .xlr files.

So the only way is to save the spreadsheets to .xls files in Works which can be opened with OpenOffice.

By the way, even Microsoft Excel is not able to open .xlr files, see here.

Regards, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
yijunzhao

Re: convert .xlr files

Post by yijunzhao »

You are great! detailed description here for everyone here!
Phil wrote:Hi and welcome to the community!

Works files cannot be opened directly in OpenOffice. There are online converters for the .wps files (see this thread), but not for .xlr files.

So the only way is to save the spreadsheets to .xls files in Works which can be opened with OpenOffice.

By the way, even Microsoft Excel is not able to open .xlr files, see here.

Regards, phil
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
StoweAway

Re: [Solved] Convert .xlr files

Post by StoweAway »

I recently converted an XLR file to XLS by simply going to the file, right clicking on it, selecting "Rename" and then changing the file extension to ".xls" Then I ignored the warning about not being able to open it and saved it with the new file extension. I was quite surprised that it worked.
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista
INVENZIBLE

Re: [Solved] Convert .xlr files

Post by INVENZIBLE »

Stoweway you are a genious! You made it so simple. I went into properties, changed the r to s and it worked! Thank you so much!
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP