Spellcheck wont work in Star Office 8.0, Eee PC Linux

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Dawnitoes

Spellcheck wont work in Star Office 8.0, Eee PC Linux

Post by Dawnitoes »

Hi People,

I have just recently bought an Eec PC Asus, with Linux OS and Star Office 8.0 pre-installed. In the word processing application the spellcheck won't work. I have checked the language and spellcheck 'options' are set correctly. Looking at some previous posts, I think the problem is that there is no dictionary installed. I believe there is a site where I can download a dictionary. The problem is, I have NEVER used Linux before and whereas I would have no difficulty at all in installing a dictionary in Windows, in Linux I really don't know where to start - I cannot even make sense of the standard folders in File Manager! Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions on where I can get a dictionary (English-UK), how I can install it and get my spellchecker working?

Many thanks, Dawn
OOo 3.0.X on PCLinuxOS + Star Office 8.0
Hagar Delest

Re: Spellcheck wont work in Star Office 8.0, Eee PC Linux

Post by Hagar Delest »

See here: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration. English dictionary is installed by default. Except perhaps if the distro version of OOo has been tweaked.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Dawnitoes

Post by Dawnitoes »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:See here: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration. English dictionary is installed by default. Except perhaps if the distro version of OOo has been tweaked.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

Sorry, it's not 'solved'! I have worked through the Spell Check and Language Configuation and confirmed that there is no dictionary installed. I followed the instructions under point 4 of the spellcheck tutorial to download a dictionary - but there isn't an English one!! So I'm OK if I want to do Polish spellchecking but cannot do so in English! I'm a bit baffled as to why Eee PC didn't install a version of Star Office that had a dictionary included by default - but that's another story. Anyone know how I can find, download and install an English (preferably UK) dictionary?

Many thanks, Dawn
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can still download the files from the version 2 for English and then tweak an extension to install them (see section 4 of the tutorial).

That's strange indeed that the distro has not bundled the dics. Have you looked in the OOo installation directory then .../share/extension/install folder?
Dawnitoes

Post by Dawnitoes »

Hi Hagar - three things:

1. I have downloaded a zipped file (English dictionary) from the OOo 2.# extensions area. The zipped folder contains 4 files: dictionary.lst; en_GB.aff; en_GB.dic; and README_en_GB.txt. The instructions in the tutorial say you should add the .oxt file to the extensions area in OOo - which file is the right one?

2. What do you mean 'tweak' an extension?

3. As I explained in my first post, I cannot find any program files in the file manager - I am not familiar with Linux and so don't know where to look (under 'All File Systems' directlry I have a folder called /ro which includes a folder called Etc, which includes a folder called OpenOffice - there is also a folder called dictionaries-common). Where is the OOo installation directory? I actually have Star Office 8.0 - does this make any difference?

Thanks, Dawn
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

1 & 2: see section 4. You've to download another extension, replace the dictionary files inside by the files from the version 2 and edit the dictionary.xcu file. I've done it for you: here is the initial extension without the main files (and some registration file); add the English file from the v2 in that extension and then install it with the extension manager. NB: a .oxt file is just a zipped archive. As the .oxt is not allowed for upload, I've renamed it as .zip:
dict-en-Empty.zip
(73.89 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
3: yes, it may be different with SO. The installation directory may be in /usr/openoffice. With the official version, the dic extensions are in /opt/openoffice.org3/share/extension/install.