[Solved] OOo 3.0 cannot save to network drive

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
acknak

Re: [Solved] OOo 3.0 cannot save to network drive

Post by acknak »

Hmm, that's all news to me, but my experience with access to smb shares from a Linux client application is old and using the traditional system-level tools, not the newer desktop/application sharing schemes.

I've typically used smb shares the other way: from applications on Windows' accessing a network share (either Samba or another Windows host), and at least from the user's point of view, the application accessed the shared resource through a normal-looking file path, e.g. starting with a "mapped" drive letter. The same was true from the Linux side when I used smbmount to attach a remote share.

As for the desktop sharing schemes, I'm surprised that anyone would reply on them. The few times I've played with them, it's been a thoroughly disappointing experience. As far as I can see, things like gvfs still have major problems in transparency and integration, and needing special application-level support would go at the head of the list. Just my two cents, and probably off-target.

I have seen more than one report here of problems using OOo to access files over a gvfs/ssh link. The file could be opened, but not editied (it opened read-only for some reason not apparent). I found the same when I tried it from home; perhaps it's the same issue you're describing.

Thanks for the info; please post any solutions or workarounds you find.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
scananza

Post by scananza »

Hi,
I've tried with community versions, both i386 and x86_64: smb support is now enabled but the problem persists, so it seems it's something upstream and not specifically Fedora-related.
BTW I've opened a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=479658

Just hope it will be helpful to gather some other information and to defy this annoying issue as soon as possible :^)

Later.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora other + Windows XP
scananza

Post by scananza »

Tried Fedora's development 3.0.1 packages and problem is still there :^/
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora other + Windows XP
steveedmonds

Post by steveedmonds »

I have also just had this problem arise. I have it with OOO2.4 on SUSE 11.0
I have an older samba server, a newer samba server (SLES9) and a NAS device.
Before Christmas openoffice could access files on SLES9 and NAS. Saving gave an I/O error but click save again and it saved. Opening was fine.

Now I can't open files on the NAS device with Ooo but I can on SLES9, saving hasn't changed. I can open and save files on NAS and SLES9 without problems with other applications (GIMP, seamonkey, etc.)

I have done a number of updates (system, not Ooo) since last year, so maybe it is an Ooo-cifs bug.

steve
OOo 3.2.X on openSuse 11 + OSX 10.6.4
WildSioux

Post by WildSioux »

You can add me to the list of not being able to save to a network drive :x I have a Dlink DNS323 NAS which is linux based. My current installed OS is Mandriva and XP. The XP OO version works and saves to the NAS as it should. I will just say that linux ((insert any linux OS here)) has failed for me. I have tried Opensuse 11.1, Kubuntu, LinuxMint, and Mandriva. LinuxMint and Mandriva are the only two that have worked for me. Well, did work until today.

LinuxMint worked fine with opening and saving to the NAS and as you know that was OO 2.4.1. But I couldn't get used to gnome (win95) and a few other things didn't work. Mandriva did work fine on a clean install with KDE 4.1.3. That too had bugs so I installed KDE 3.5.10. There was also a new kernal update along the way. Either way, now I can't save to the box.

I have tried the usual way of editing fstab for a mount on all distros other than mint and mandriva. Mint worked out of the box without having to mount. In mandriva, I use SMB4K. I have never found the manual way of editing in a mount point to work.

This is a serious issue for me since I can't even save my files. How hard can it be to open a file, edit it, and save? This problem has prevented me from fully switching to linux. I really don't know what to say other than either the linux distros I have tried are failures or OO is a failure, or both.

That is not the point, it JUST NEEDS TO WORK regardless.

Here is the error that I get on Mandriva OO 3.0:

Code: Select all

Error saving the document XX Xxxxxx 02-02-09: The operation on /home/xxx/DNS323/X & X Files/XX Xxxxxx 02-02-09.doc was started with an invalid paramter.
x two times.

Then I get this:

Code: Select all

Error saving the document XX Xxxxxx 02-02-09: General Error.
General input/output error.
I believe the second on is related to the file locking issue. But why was it working and now not?

Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
OOo 3.0.X on Mandriva + XP
steveedmonds

Post by steveedmonds »

Now that I think back, the last trouble free saving I had with Ooo was with SUSE 9.3 and the mount.smb NAS mount. Now I am forced into mount.cifs which I have found causes me a range of compatibility problems in comparison.
Could it be a mount.cifs problem, anyone able to test with mount.smb?
rjohns

Unable to save files with 3.0 or 3.0.1

Post by rjohns »

Recently downloaded 3.0. Using Windows Vista. I can not save files at all. I receive the error telling me I do not have sufficient rights to the file. I find a ~lock file on the drive. If I delete the ~lock file, I can then save the targeted file. Or, this worked until this morning. As of today, I can not save any files at all, first time or second time.

All other programs work. the computer otherwise seems fine. I have changed nothing since installing 3.0.1 a week ago.

I have deleted user information in OOo. No change. I have reset user information. No change. I have un-installed the program and then re-installed it. No change. The program is now useless.

I have looked through all of the posts here and so far no suggestions have corrected the problem.

Where do I go from here?

At the moment I am un-installing 3.0.1 and re-installing 2.4.0.

Help
rich
WildSioux

Post by WildSioux »

Just a follow up to my problem above of not being able to save to my Dlink DNS323 NAS. I have since moved to Sabayon which has OO 3.0

I believe I have found what the problem was, at least for me and I hope for others. I have never been able to mount by editing fstab manually. So I installed SMB4K and that was able to mount but still unable to save via OO. I have found that in Sabayon, SMB4K is the older KDE 3 version instead of the KDE 4 SMB4K. It still works the same as it is able to see my network, my NAS, and able to mount.

However, in the old KDE 3 version there is more options under "Samba." Maybe I overlooked it in version 4. But in version 3 SAMBA>Mount Tab>File System>"CIFS" or "SMBFS"

It wasn't working for me with CIFS. So I switched it to SMBFS, set a super user rule (since it wouldn't mount without it). And it mounts! I am able to open via dolphin (file manager), as well as open in OO, and I can now finally save to my NAS! :D :o

So I have found out that my Dlink DNS323 has SMBFS file system instead of CIFS. I vaguely remember reading something about it on one of the DNS323 forums of how to install CIFS files system on it. But this works and makes since to me now.

To others using linux, this method isn't found as a mount point in the fstab file. But it is instead found in the mtab file. I am not sure if I edited fstab if it would work that way or not. However, if CIFS doesn't work, try SMBFS.

Hope this helps someone!
steveedmonds

Post by steveedmonds »

May be confirms what I suspected about CIFS but doesn't help SUSE users as SMBFS support no longer seems to be in the kernel.
WildSioux

Post by WildSioux »

@ steveedmonds:

Right, I now cannot save to my NAS. There was an update to SMB4k in Sabayon. It was 0.97 which is the older KDE 3.5 version. Now it is 0.10.1 and has been updated for KDE 4. The problem is now that the option for SMBFS is gone and only mounts as CIFS. As you said, it is no longer supported.

I seem to not be able to mount manually either (fstab). This has been the biggest issue for me to switching to linux entirely. It is really aggravating since it is 2009 and we can't even save a simple word document :evil:
WildSioux

Post by WildSioux »

@ steveedmonds:

And hopefully for others as well using Linux and having the save problems. I found a solution that works finally (hopefully, haven't restarted my computer). I read through this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534. And found the "nounix" in my fstab entry allows me to save a openoffice file to my DNS323 NAS.

Since I was having problems with SMB4K (mainly not being able to save). I finally figured out how to mount samba by editing my fstab file. I don't know what nounix means. I just know that it works. Hopefully this works for others as well.
crosswalkguy

Post by crosswalkguy »

My Setup:
OpenOffice 3.0.1 (from repository ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu)
Ubuntu 8.10

Scenario: Working with documents on Windows 2003 Server share from my OOo 3.0/Ubuntu 8.10 desktop
Problem: While the file does not open read-only like other reports, I am unable to save _back_ to the file share, receiving the error dialog:

Error saving the document [document name]:
General Error.
General input/output error.

Solution: As described by the others, Instead of accessing file share through Gnome/Nautilus I created an fstab entry for the share:
//[servername]/[sharename] /mnt/[sharename] cifs user=[username],noexec,user,rw,nounix 0 0

Manually mount the share:
# mount /mnt/[sharename]
This will prompt for password. I am sure there is a way to cache the password for an automatic/boot-time mount, I just do not know it.
Now navigate to your files @ /mnt/[sharename]
In fact, I noticed an odd thing. I could then access my files read/write the traditional method as long as it was mounted at the time this way as well.

I thought I would be more specific to help the googlers, I found I wasted a good hour or two coming across similar, but non-relevant solutions.

Cheers,
Matt
BC, Canada
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x + WinXP
scottt

Post by scottt »

so I've been watching and waiting on this problem for a few months. Simple workaround: save files locally and copy them to and from SAMBA shares. Very inconvenient.

This solution above seems alright, but I have not gotten those mount parameters working as yet, I'll keep working on that. Really I have 2 questions though:

1. what does the nounix option do? It seems to be undocumented. Not found on samba.org and not found in man page of mount or mount.cifs.

2. What are the OO developers doing to respond to this compatibility they created between OO 3.0 and SAMBA? There seems to be dead silence from the team there as far as I can tell. There is definitely a compatiblity problem and it is definitely something they created. Should they not be fixing something? ?
acknak

Post by acknak »

I'm sure it is frustrating. What's more, it still isn't clear (to me at least) what the exact problem is. Network problems like this tend to be affected by the exact details of the installation, which are different for every network.

Unfortunately, this is not the place to communicate with the developers; there are no developers active here.

If you want to find out what's happening for a particular problem, use the issue tracker. [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions

If you want to ask the developers a question, use the mailing lists. http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
scottt

Post by scottt »

fyi, this has been logged as a defect now. We'll see what happens...
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=101282
OOo 3.0.X on Mandriva + Ubuntu
gnulab

Post by gnulab »

crosswalkguy wrote:My Setup:
Solution: As described by the others, Instead of accessing file share through Gnome/Nautilus I created an fstab entry for the share:
//[servername]/[sharename] /mnt/[sharename] cifs user=[username],noexec,user,rw,nounix 0 0

Manually mount the share:
# mount /mnt/[sharename]
This will prompt for password. I am sure there is a way to cache the password for an automatic/boot-time mount, I just do not know it.
Now navigate to your files @ /mnt/[sharename]
In fact, I noticed an odd thing. I could then access my files read/write the traditional method as long as it was mounted at the time this way as well.

I thought I would be more specific to help the googlers, I found I wasted a good hour or two coming across similar, but non-relevant solutions.

Cheers,
Matt
BC, Canada
I will try your method. My setup is almost similar to yours, except I'm using QNAP.

In the /etc/fstab you can use the credentials=/home/.smbpasswd

Read this website for details
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255872
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystem ... ently.html
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
scottt

Post by scottt »

Not sure what happened here, other than this forum seems to have got some crossed threads in it that are unrelated. Manually mounting a samba share is not that novel. A fix for the bug I originally submitted 2 years ago would be novel. I think with all the Sun corporate changes, this bug appears to be lost forever. So much for that open source experiment :-/
OOo 3.0.X on Mandriva + Ubuntu
acknak

Post by acknak »

Nothing is lost; your bug is here: https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=101282

When, or if, anyone will actually do anything with it is entirely up in the air, but the issue is still open.
gnulab

Post by gnulab »

I've actually managed to solve this.

What I've done is mount the samba share at /etc/fstab and include the following options fmask=777,dmask=777.
Read that at this website http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255872

I have not tried this method though, the nobrl option as mentioned here.
http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambacifs.html#office

HTH this helps.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP