Arabic forum to support Arab users

Let us know how we are doing -
OMLX

Arabic forum to support Arab users

Post by OMLX »

I'm Fahad Al-Saidi. I participate in the translating OOo to Arabic and I wrote abook about OOo in Arabic.
I would like to support OOo's Arab community with specific Arabic forum. I discussed this idea in this site and I got nice number of supporters. I suggest these section in the forum:
+General (عام)
+ Writer (رايتر)
+ Calc (كالك)
+ Impress (إمبرس)
+ Draw ( درو)
+ Math (ماث)
+ Base (بيز)

After we create this forum, I will make campaign to let it active.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Arabic forum to support Arab users

Post by r4zoli »

As Hungarian forum co-admin I went through site setting process, and it takes time for setting up forums. All people working here in their free time.

First thing, needs one or two people who bring admins role in their forum, who is responsible for visiting it regulalrly and doing admins work, second one or two moderators, for moderating posts which not useful for OOo users

For start enough one plus one people.

This forum based on phpBB3, needs translated language modul. I find it in phpBB site http://www.phpbb.com/files/language_pac ... ver_ar.zip, this problem solved.

Survival Guide needs to be translated to Arabic, its your turn.

I think its enogh for clarification.

Another question the site admins load, they just started in live Japanese forum, and started working on Vietnamese forum.
I think they will help to you, and will do all best to build Arabic forum on this site.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
OMLX

Post by OMLX »

r4zoli wrote:As Hungarian forum co-admin I went through site setting process, and it takes time for setting up forums. All people working here in their free time.

First thing, needs one or two people who bring admins role in their forum, who is responsible for visiting it regulalrly and doing admins work, second one or two moderators, for moderating posts which not useful for OOo users

For start enough one plus one people.
Thanks r4zoli for your reply. I can take admins works and I can invite two people to moderate posts.

Also no problem to me to translate Survival Guide to Arabic ;)
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

PhpBB already has working templates, and we System Admins would be quite willing to willing to support such a forum, so the infrastructure issues are not a major constraint here. However it is the community issues that you need to think about.
  • You need at least a couple of people who are willing to log on regularly (at least daily between them) to moderate and respond to posts.
  • You need to supplement these by as large a community of "power users" who willl also regularly log on to respond to Qs in their area of expertise.
  • There needs to be an active community of OOo NL users who want such a service.
  • You need a mechanism to get the word out to this community that the forum exists and its URL is XXX, otherwise they won't know to come.
We really need to have ticks in all these boxes otherwise forum will wither and never get off the ground.

But as I said, if you can address these issues then we can provide the infrastructure.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.