[Solved] How to hack OpenOffice.org?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
apostrophe

[Solved] How to hack OpenOffice.org?

Post by apostrophe »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using?will aquire soon (latest?)
What Operating System (version) are you using?xp
What is your question or comment?

Presumably, when I download the version of oo for xp, it will run under xp. However, if I were to devise a new feature or want to change something, could I use msc++ , or, assuming I get source code (do I?), is it even possible to recompile and build on xp?

(It'll be a few days before I have access to a high-speed connection so haven't actually downloaeded oo yet.)
Last edited by Villeroy on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
ccornell
Volunteer

Re: Some Very Basic Questions

Post by ccornell »

If you go to the main page on the OO.o Wiki, you will see links to instructions for getting the source, how to build it, how to install it and how to run it.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page
The Get it section is written with a much older source in mind, but teh concepts are identical - you just need to substitute the lates release for the older 2.1 that is named.

That is one way to tinker with OpenOffice.org.

Another way, and a way that is really gaining popularity is to write an extension.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions
which is a much more practical method of adding functionality than diving into the core source code.

Of course, both ways are available to you :-)
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
apostrophe

Re: Some Very Basic Questions

Post by apostrophe »

Thanks. Good info leads. You've provided me with a lot to do.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] How to hack OpenOffice.org?

Post by Villeroy »

Changed title from "[Solved] Some Very Basic Questions" to "[Solved] How to hack OpenOffice.org?"
I often wonder about meaningless subject lines about "very basic" things in the beginner's forum. [scratching head]
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice