[Solved] Duplicates in recent documents list

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
montana722

[Solved] Duplicates in recent documents list

Post by montana722 »

On the main page of OO where I select what type of file to open, there is a small down arrow where I can select files I opened recently.

Each time I click one and then make some changes to that document and save them, the old and the new one with the changes appear. So now I have two files with the same name. It also appears as a duplicate in MY DOCUMENTS folder. Even though I go to my documents folder and delete the older duplicates, it still remains in that drop-down list. If I click the one I deleted, a little pop-up window says, "the document does not exist." But the file name is not removed. I would like only the file that is most current.

How can I eliminate those duplicates in that drop-down list? ........Originally the files were in a computer using XP and Word Perfect 12. I transferred them to my new HP computer with Windows7 using Windows Easy Transfer.

Thanks.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
gerard24
Volunteer

Re: Duplicates appear in list when selecting files to open o

Post by gerard24 »

You can use HistoryMaster extension.
LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10
montana722

Post by montana722 »

I don't understand what HistoryMaster is, or does. Your link will not open a web page.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The extension pages are down again.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
franx
Volunteer

Post by franx »

You might have a look at that query → "History Master"

Alternative download page (Bernard Marcelly web site): → History Master
<http://bernard.marcelly.perso.sfr.fr/HM/index.html>
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

montana722 wrote:On the main page of OO where I select what type of file to open, there is a small down arrow where I can select files I opened recently.

Each time I click one and then make some changes to that document and save them, the old and the new one with the changes appear. So now I have two files with the same name. It also appears as a duplicate in MY DOCUMENTS folder. Even though I go to my documents folder and delete the older duplicates, it still remains in that drop-down list. If I click the one I deleted, a little pop-up window says, "the document does not exist." But the file name is not removed. I would like only the file that is most current.

How can I eliminate those duplicates in that drop-down list? ........Originally the files were in a computer using XP and Word Perfect 12. I transferred them to my new HP computer with Windows7 using Windows Easy Transfer.

Thanks.
So your saying that you have two copies of the file in the exact same directory with the exact same file name, extension included? There has to be at least some difference in the name to place two copies of a file in the exact same spot, even old DOS required that. Windows does not allow the same file name, example Filename.ext is the same as filename.exT. Under Linux the names are different because of the caps but not under Windows.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
montana722

Post by montana722 »

No, they do not have the same extension.

One is wpd and the other is odt. I have included an attachment of a screen shot that I hope you can open. It will show you what it looks like.
Attachments
Example of duplicate file names in OO.jpg
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Those are not duplicates because they have different file extensions. Therefore they are different files.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

OK, that is why both show up, there are different files. The only thing that can be done is use either of the history management extensions an clear the list and start over.

[1] http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... t/histmngr
[2] http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... toryMaster

There are problems with the web site so you may have to reload the pages several times.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
montana722

Post by montana722 »

I still can't get those web pages to open.

I thought any text file (once I opened it and then made edits or changes) it would show the file name only as with the changes and overwrite the old one in that list.

Because a similar thing would happen in Word Perfect too. But when I searched for the actual file I didn't want and deleted it, it would say that file "no longer exists." When I clicked "okay" it would disappear from the selection list. Here it doesn't and that's what I am trying to accomplish so that it isn't confusing which one to open.

Is that what the two links you have given me are designed to do? And is it pretty user friendly for a non techie like me to figure out how to use?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

File names come in two parts - a general descriptor (the "name") and an extension which specifies the type of file and what program opens it, which Microsoft, in their wisdom, allow to be hidden. It would make sense for you to move your wpd files to another directory - then they wouldn't show up. Alternately, when you use / File / Open you can drop down the File Type box and select ODF Text Document, and you will see only the OpenOffice text files. As to something being user friendly or not, there is no quality control on users, so what is user friendly for one may not be for another.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
montana722

Post by montana722 »

If I'm understanding you correctly, there is no way to remove the file names manually from that list as shown in my screen shot.

I don't see any "ODF" text document designation in file >>> open. I will just attempt to learn through trial and error what works or just live with the duplicates and remember that the latest date is the one that has the most recent data.

If it wasn't for OpenOffice and the great things it offers, I would have never been able to read or use my Word Perfect files and that alone was fantastic. :super:

I appreciate all of you who responded.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Duplicates in recent documents list

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that it would be the same with other applications.
So I've tagged the topic as solved BTW.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

montana722 wrote:I thought any text file (once I opened it and then made edits or changes) it would show the file name only as with the changes and overwrite the old one in that list.
OOo will read WordPerfect files (.wpd) but does not save to that format. When you edit and save a WordPerfect file it is saved as a new document in OOo'a default format (.odt) and does not replace the old format.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
montana722

Post by montana722 »

Right, I see that thanks.

So in other words, once I start using the .odt file only and make changes in that, it will not create another file name but will overwrite the old one and save the changes only without creating another duplicate file name. Is that correct?

Then the thing I have to do is eventually get those I use frequently converted to odt and only those should appear in the drop-down window of ten. I use only about five quite often. At least that should keep those at the top of the drop-down list.

In summation...the first time a Word Perfect file is opened in OpenOffice and any changes or edits are made and saved, there will be a duplicate file name because OpenOffice is converting the file from .wpd to .odt, which is the ONLY way OpenOffice can save the file. Once it is converted, all changes or revisions to that document will be saved without creating a duplicate.

If my wording is correct, maybe this will be helpful to others who are as non techie as I am when they first start using OpenOffice. Hopefully, it is correct.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

So in other words, once I start using the .odt file only and make changes in that, it will not create another file name but will overwrite the old one and save the changes only without creating another duplicate file name. Is that correct?
Yes
In summation...the first time a Word Perfect file is opened in OpenOffice and any changes or edits are made and saved, there will be a duplicate file name because OpenOffice is converting the file from .wpd to .odt, which is the ONLY way OpenOffice can save the file. Once it is converted, all changes or revisions to that document will be saved without creating a duplicate.
Correct
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
montana722

Post by montana722 »

Just want to extend a sincere thank you to all who helped me.

I have added the History Master extension and it's working GREAT. ....This was exactly what I was looking for! :bravo:

To help anyone else by my experience, if you have that same problem, add the extension (you may have to just keep refreshing the page and it will eventually open to download) Download the link by Bernard Marcelly. Once it is downloaded, go to the help pages and the History Master help pages are at the very bottom of the help topics. It will explain to you how to remove unwanted names from your recent file list. You can even make the list show any number of files you want from zero to 100.

Open the History Master. Just click tools >> History Manger >> extension manager. All the options are there and very easy to use.

This one is definitely a big green checkmark .... SOLVED !!