Hashes after a document recovery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Lenkacz

Hashes after a document recovery

Post by Lenkacz »

Hello,

I have been working on a document when my computer crashed. I haven't had checked the option for autobackup, however I was making ctrl+s backups very often. After the restart I wanted to open the document and there was a note if I want to recover the document, I clicked yes, which was probably a mistake. After that there was a note asking me for settings of ASCII filter (I used the default settings) and the document opened, but there were only hashes and nonsense symbols.

I tried to find backups in the home/user/openoffice/3/backups directory, but there are none. I suppose it is because there were no autobackups, but I wonder where my manual backup files are.

Is there any help?

Thanks in advance,
Lenka
OpenOffice3.2 on Ubuntu 10.10
therabi
Volunteer

Re: hashes after a document recovery

Post by therabi »

Using Ctrl+S only saves the file, not make a backup. Sad to say your out of luck, the file is corrupted and no way that I have heard of to fix it.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
Lenkacz

Re: hashes after a document recovery

Post by Lenkacz »

Thanks for a quck reply,

I will start again
OpenOffice3.2 on Ubuntu 10.10
Hagar Delest

Re: Hashes after a document recovery

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, you're not alone, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check also the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10