[Issue] PDF made with OpenOffice.org cutting off letters

Discuss the word processor
nashsclay

[Issue] PDF made with OpenOffice.org cutting off letters

Post by nashsclay »

Hello all. I am creating a PDF with OpenOffice. It is almost fully working but there is a problem with the text boxes on the pdf file. When you type in the box, the bottom part of the letters are cut off. I've sent it to my friends computer and same problem. Am I missing a setting. Take a look! Thanks
Attachments
VolunteerForm for pdf final.rtf
RTF file
(99.43 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
VolunteerForm for pdf final.pdf
PDF file
(70.27 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed May 04, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: PDF made with OpenOffice cutting off letters

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Works fine on Ubuntu 10.10 with Evince:
Evince.png
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
nashsclay

Re: PDF made with OpenOffice.org cutting off letters

Post by nashsclay »

Maybe it's a windows thing?? I tried on win 7 professional x64 bit. I got the same thing. Here is a pic if it does work for you.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I don't see any issue using Win 7 32bit. I tried a couple of different fonts. Perhaps its a video driver issue.

Edit
why use .rtf? The OOo support is very poor.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
nashsclay

Post by nashsclay »

Not sure why I did this? I used a program to convert pdf to doc which i guess it did rtf. i converted the rtf to odt, I can now actually type in the fields in edit mode which I couldn't do with the rtf file. Still the issue isn't solved.

EDIT:What I did was download Adobe Acrobat Pro (free trial) and redid the whole pdf and that fixed the problem. Still I don't know the answer for the document. I'm thinking when I first converted it from pdf to rtf on accident and then converted the rtf to odt, that goofed things up. Who knows?? Thanks for the help all!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

With W2k and Adobe Acrobat Reader, I see the same problem: bottom of letters are cut! Same if I export your RTF with OOo (3.3).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I'm using Foxit PDF reader and don't see the issue as I stated yesterday. Perhaps its a PDF reader issue.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
ChrisJCarter

Post by ChrisJCarter »

I have had the same problem. After upgrading from OO 3.2 to 3.3. When I export a form to PDF the bottom parts of the text are cut of in the form boxes. I am not sure if this is an Adobe reader problem with 9.4.2 or an OpenOffice problem but i do a lot of forms for my busienss and this is making it hard to work.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Windiws 7 Pro 32bit
Adobe Reader 9.4.2
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

ChrisJCarter wrote:I have had the same problem. After upgrading from OO 3.2 to 3.3. When I export a form to PDF the bottom parts of the text are cut of in the form boxes. I am not sure if this is an Adobe reader problem with 9.4.2 or an OpenOffice problem but i do a lot of forms for my busienss and this is making it hard to work.
It looks like some kind of Acrobat error but it may be an OOo - Acrobat interaction.

It works fine for me in Foxit and shows exactly the same problem as you have in Acrobat Reader

It might be worth filing a bug report with OOo to see if they can find an obvious problem.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
ChrisJCarter

Post by ChrisJCarter »

I have had the same problem. After upgrading from OO 3.2 to 3.3. When I export a form to PDF the bottom parts of the text are cut of in the form boxes. I am not sure if this is an Adobe reader problem with 9.4.2 or an OpenOffice problem but i do a lot of forms for my busienss and this is making it hard to work.
I have posted a bug report for this problem. I also took some time and downloaded LibreOffice wich is made by some of the Devs that left OpenOffice when Sun was Purchesed by Oracle. I did a quick test and with Libreoffice 3.3.1 and Adobe reader 10 the PDF export works fine.. I will be doing some more testing.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Windiws 7 Pro 32bit
Adobe Reader 9.4.2
ChrisJCarter

Post by ChrisJCarter »

I also took some time and downloaded LibreOffice wich is made by some of the Devs that left OpenOffice when Sun was Purchesed by Oracle. I did a quick test and with Libreoffice 3.3.1 and Adobe reader 10 the PDF export works fine.. I will be doing some more testing.
I was wrong.. But here is the bug post. https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=114010

I was able to view my PDF form useing another PDF viewer.. So it has something to do with adobe and OO interaction. Hope they get this fixed soon.
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Windiws 7 Pro 32bit
Adobe Reader 9.4.2
AlHolden

Post by AlHolden »

I'm having the same issue here with reader 9.4.2

My only workaround is to make the text field height 0.40" - the font 10 pt - and the Vert. Alignment to Top

The resulting PDFs are readable, but boy do they look silly.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 (9567)
Windows 7 64 bit
AlHolden

Post by AlHolden »

I just updated to Adobe reader 10.0.1 - and the issue is not fixed.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 (9567)
Windows 7 64 bit
AlHolden

Post by AlHolden »

I've noticed that Write does NOT maintain the setting of the Vert Alignment property of a text box - when the file is saved as a type .doc
If you close and re-open Write, then open the doc file - the property has reverted to Default. Not sure if this is by design or not, as there is no alert box stating that form settings would be lost when saving as type doc.

The Vert Alignment property IS preserved when the file format .odt is used. However, it STILL FAILS to properly send this setting to Acrobat (or Acrobat does not understand) - or there is some other reason why Acrobat aligns text at the baseline or below it.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 (9567)
Windows 7 64 bit
TimCastle

Re: [Issue] PDF made with OpenOffice.org cutting off letters

Post by TimCastle »

I can confirm that reverting to OOo v3.2.1 solves the problem. I had this same beavior with OOo v3.3.0. This was unacceptable as I need to be able to create pdf forms which can be viewed and filled out regardless of which reader is used.
OOo v3.2.1, Windows XP
loonymoon

Post by loonymoon »

Hi I just found this thread as this bug is driving me crazy too.

How do you "downgrade" to OO 3.2.1 (sorry silly newbie question). :oops:
Open office 3.3 on Win7 64 bit.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
loonymoon

Post by loonymoon »

Thanks a lot.
Open office 3.3 on Win7 64 bit.