[Solved] Horrendous rendering of Calc in Ubuntu

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
DaWells5

Post by DaWells5 »

Hello, all! I'm a longtime user of Ooo, although I've never needed to post (most of my questions are usually already covered by someone else). I love Ooo, and have it installed on my three machines, and my husband's as well. We recently switched all but two machines to Ubuntu 10.10 and while it loads faster and performs much better on Linux than it ever did when they were running XP, Calc looks a disaster. The row numbers are HUGE while the sheets tabs are so tiny they are unusable. My husband is legally blind, and this change has been a nightmare for him since he runs his home business accounting info through Calc. The icons seem mismatched as well, although admittedly, these are most like just "new" icons and we'll have to deal with them.
I've seen the issue posted here about the sheet tab fonts being too small: http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=66261, but I am not sure if this problem is related or something that needs to be toggled within the OS. We are still kind of new to Linux, but are comfortable with command lines and such. We are not willing to entertain the WINE option, since that defeats the purpose of having a Linux OS and natively running office suite, IOHO. Is there a special package, theme or plugin that we could look for that could fix our "funky" Calc? I've included a screenshot to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for any help.
here you can see a blank calc with the huge row numbers, and the tiny sheet tabs.
here you can see a blank calc with the huge row numbers, and the tiny sheet tabs.
Last edited by DaWells5 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ooo 3.2.1 running on Ubuntu 10.10, Windows XP, eee-Xandros (for EEE pc 701 2g surf)
acknak

Re: Eeek! Horrendous rendering of Calc in Ubuntu

Post by acknak »

Sorry, but I don't think there's any great solution for you.

First off, your screenshot looks exactly like Calc on my system, so I don't think there's anything "broken" on your system.

Second, OOo does not support much in the way of tuning or adjusting the interface. You can get a little help under Tools > Options > OOo > View; the "Scaling" option there will enlarge the menus and some other interface elements, but not the Calc tabs, unfortunately.

Your best bet, as far as I know, is to open the Navigator window: View > Navigator; that will give you a more legible list of sheet names, and the text in that window can be enlarged by Tools > Options > OOo > View > Scaling.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
hol.sten
Volunteer

Re: Eeek! Horrendous rendering of Calc in Ubuntu

Post by hol.sten »

I'm using OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04. The row and column headers look the same here, only the labels of the sheet tabs are a little bigger and better readable.

Take a look at the view setting in:
- "Tools" > "Options..." > "OpenOffice.org" > View
- "Tools" > "Options..." > "OpenOffice.org Calc" > View
Perhaps you can try to change some settings there.
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
DaWells5

Post by DaWells5 »

Thanks for the responses. We had totally forgotten about the F5 navigator. I would have replied sooner, but in trying to adjust this via terminal, I broke something and had to reinstall. Being recent Linux converts, we're always sure we've broken some application or installed something incorrectly, so we're learning to ask questions, even if they seem kind of silly :knock:
I've voted for this issue and hope for the day when this feature is available.
Ooo 3.2.1 running on Ubuntu 10.10, Windows XP, eee-Xandros (for EEE pc 701 2g surf)