Saving settings In OfficeWriter?

Discuss the word processor
tmoney2514

Saving settings In OfficeWriter?

Post by tmoney2514 »

I've noticed that the page settings are different in Office Writer versus Microsoft word processor. I like the standard 1" top and bottom margins and the 1.25" left and right margins that are on word processor. When I edit these settings with Office Writer by going to Format > Page > Page and then type in my specifications, I can't find a way to save those settings. Is there anyway to do that so that I wont have to specify them each time I use this program? Im using version 2.3 and have XP. Thanks.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Saving settings In OfficeWriter?

Post by Villeroy »

Document specific styles and other customizations are saved in templates. For each document type Writer, Calc, Draw and Impress you can define one defaut template, which is the one to be used on Ctrl+N and File>New>...
Save your adjusted template: File>Templates>Save...
Call the templates organizer: File>Templates>Organize...
Select your new template.
Hit the command button on the right side: "Set Default"

Notice that you can use the same dialog to move around styles across all templates and loaded documents. In most cases you want to copy styles rather than move them, so don't forget the Ctrl-key when you drop a style.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
marcosramos

Re: Saving settings In OfficeWriter?

Post by marcosramos »

Anyway those settings should always be read from the file.

I've created a template for a document at work, with Writer of course. The file has to be saved in xls.
When it is opened on some other computer, the margins go crazy. And believe I've created the document with the margins correct (edited the document's settings).

The margins settings should be first read from the document itself...Instead of that I get even text beyond the margins (still on printable area).

Any thoughts?
work: OpenOffice 2.4 - Windows XP
desktop: OpenOffice 2.3.1 - Windows XP
laptop: Openoffice 2.3.1 - Vista